Complete vinyl system, TT to speakers, for $1500?

We just returned from a 2-week visit to our son who lives in Tokyo.  While there, we met a nice young woman who told me she would like to acquire an audio system with the express intent of playing LPs in her apartment.  Her budget is $1500 or less, as noted.  It's been years since I ever had to think in such budget terms, and when I did think about a $1500 system, it was back in the 70s when you could really buy something decent for that total amount.  (You could also buy a car for only a little bit more.) So, I am here for advice; she needs TT, tonearm, cartridge, phono stage, amplifier, and speakers. Thanks.

lewm

Showing 16 responses by lewm

Thanks, petalumen.  I don't disagree with anything you've written.  For a similar set of reasons, I think it is probably a good idea to go with a separate phono stage, rather than a phono stage built into the TT.  And all of this is another reason in favor of her purchasing new equipment that is under warranty.  The integrity of sellers in Tokyo is very high, and I feel confident she will be protected in the event of an equipment failure.  Funnily enough, she is not responding to my recent emails.  I have to check with my son to be certain she is receiving them.

Rega IO is well above budget based on US prices. Since foreign made audio is usually more expensive in Tokyo than here, I assume it’s even more costly there.But thanks.

I saw those Klipsch spkrs. Nice. I’ve mentioned them to the person I’m advising. Anything sold new in Tokyo will work off their grid. That’s not an issue, thankfully.

That thing is cool! Something anyone should have in case of a nuclear attack. (This in response to the Audio Technica Sound Burger.)

Dogberry, I don’t want to be responsible for advising her to purchase used equipment that may fail or be defective to begin with, when she has no recourse after purchase, and where I am not around Tokyo to help her out (as if I ever could, given the ubiquitous language barrier). It’s wiser for her to purchase new equipment with a warranty. If you think otherwise, then you can do as you like when you’re in a similar situation.

And while I do think Neil Antin's treatise is interesting and useful, and it might make sense to have a word or two with her on the subject of record care, I would never expose the poor girl to that tome at this stage of her development as a vinylista.  It might scare her back into digital.

Mahler, if you look at the last sentences of my 06-05 post at 11:26 AM, you would see that I asked the question just as you did using different words. Thx.

Elliot, I did check that Yamaha integrated you cited. It does have a built in MM phono stage and might be a reasonable option if she wants more than just phono capability. It would also obviate the need for self powered speakers. Thx.

Elliot, To me, an output of 300mV is not "line level", which is why I ask my question.  It is possible, if not probable, that the built in amplifiers in these small self-powered speakers are very sensitive so as to be driven by a signal at 300mV.  That's likely the answer to my own question.

In a Youtube search, I found this video, which looks good for my "client". I am fairly sure I saw Fluance products for sale in Tokyo, and I am certain that iFi Zen is available there.  Maybe this is my solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r7IlJygAIY

Guys, thanks for all of the informative responses.

Mijostyn, Luck has no role in this.  She is a nice young person who is probably much less fussy than any of us. After all, she has no prior history with vinyl to use for comparison. We met her for the first time this visit, at an outdoor barbecue. (We've got about a dozen longstanding Japanese and ex-pat Chinese friends whom we've acquired over the years because they are Dan's friends.)

akg-ca, I like the idea of the Rega System One very much. It harkens back to the 60s when KLH made a complete system that could be transported as a suitcase. The stereo speakers were derived from unsnapping the sides of the suitcase when the thing was in use.  The central mass of the suitcase turned into a turntable, preamp, amplifier, and tuner that drove the speakers. KLH probably sold thousands of them. Of course, Henry Kloss was a genius.  Anyway, the retail cost of the RSO here in the US is more than $2100, which surely will be inflated in Japan.  So it is out of her budget.  Budget is just about the only thing she stipulated. I will suggest it to her anyway.

Rega and some other "Western" brands are definitely available in Tokyo.  I saw a Rega P8 for sale in a high end store but did not note its cost.  I mentioned earlier that a Reed 3G retails for the yen-equivalent of $8800, even at the current inflated dollar to yen exchange rate. But one cannot be sure that the mark-up or mark-down is the same for all foreign brands.  I also saw Wharfedale, KEF, and Klipsch speakers.  These Western brands are very popular.  Also, any decent audio store over there sells an array of individual drivers, crossover networks, etc, for DIYers.  I often saw men discussing the merits of this driver vs that driver. Both KEF and Klipsch make small, self-driven bookshelf speakers that would fit into her price range.  Of course, a lot of this gear is in fact made in China, which is probably why you can find it in Japan.

Let me re-state my question, because no one seems to have addressed it. When I look at the specs of one of these TTs with a built in phono section, it's hard to find a mention of the signal voltage output, and when I did find it for one TT, the output was listed as something like 300 to 400mV.  So I wonder whether that output is enough to drive the built in amplifiers in the bookshelf speakers one might choose to go with the TT.  Or do you need a linestage type device in between TT and speaker, to add gain?

Elliott (and anyone else), I am not recommending used equipment of any kind for this novice. I may suggest the idea to her, but I doubt she’d be interested. If I suggest a specific used item for her to buy, I’d then feel responsible if a problem arose. Since I am now 7600 air miles from Tokyo, that would be frustrating. She’s best off with new gear she can buy from a local dealer, with a warranty. I know you mean well,  and I thank you for your efforts.

Here’s a question: self powered and maybe also wireless speakers are a great space saving idea. The question is whether such speakers can be driven adequately by the output of a phono built into a cheap TT or an inexpensive outboard phono stage, like the iFi Zen, which I did see on sale in Tokyo.

Also, she has a small apartment.  A "small" apartment in Tokyo is very small by our standards in the US. Our son makes a good income there and in the past has lived in very small spaces.  (He just bought a 2-BR unit that is reasonably spacious, but again only by Tokyo standards.  We stayed at his place for the first time in over 12 years of annual visits.)  Therefore, for his female friend, a TT/tonearm/cartridge that comes with a built in phono/linestage seems a good idea, driving self-powered speakers. 

Strateahead, I looked up the Fluance product line. The TT80 and TT81 come with a built in phono stage.  Whereas the TT85 does not.  For that reason, maybe the TT81.  On the other hand, her budget might allow a TT85 plus Ifi Zen, which I did see on sale there.  Next question would be self-powered speakers.

She wants vinyl.  I don't think she would need my advice to assemble a digital system.  Nor would I have offered to give advice on a digital system. Seems vinyl is doable on her budget, based on the above posts.  The trick is to put oneself in her shoes; she's not an audiophile.  The resulting system does not have to make you and me ecstatic.

I am pretty sure she can buy Sony locally.  Sony cameras are all over the place at good prices. And I have no intention to buy anything for her and to ship.  She is quite capable of shopping locally. The audio marketplace in Tokyo is vast.  Thanks for the info on Sony bluetooth unit.

Like I said, the prices on US and Euro goods are inflated over there. Price of Reed 3G tonearm was $8800, even taking into account the very favorable exchange rate, yen to USD. As to vintage anything, I think that’s inappropriate for this young woman.

Was thinking to help her choose equipment she can just buy in Tokyo.  I was in a major store several times, and I think I did see Fluance there.  I'll check out the availability in Japan.

Dekay, thanks. Rega would be costly in Tokyo because made in UK. Might be ok but other suggestions appreciated.

Yes, she’s in Tokyo and we got back to the US yesterday. But my son told her I’m a guru. US and Euro equipment can be more expensive in Tokyo compared to the source countries.