Compare preamp of Eversolo a8 vs McIntosh c43

I used eversolo a8 as my streaming source, and it comes with dac and preamp functions. My previous integrated amp only take analog input so the signal from a8 always go through its dac and preamp, the sound is pretty good. Now I just changed to c53 preamp + amp, and today I use the c53’s dac (da2) so I just need the streamer of a8, I found the sound was so much clearer and with greater stage and depth! Of course the 2 preamp are not at the same league, but the dac of a8 is supposed to be excellent (maybe better than da2?) so I connect the a8 direct to amp, I can tell the sound quality difference even I am a newbie. A8 sound is a bit flat and harsh, but still pretty decent judging from its pricing and multi-tasking. I wish I did not make the comparison, now my a8 may become a dead weigh other than an Apple Music streamer :(

randywong

I used the coax to link digital from a8 to c53’s da2, it sounds beautifully. Then I use balanced analog out to a mc462 but the it’s underwhelming. But I need the Eversolo since it’s the only streamer that provide direct access to Apple Music at the price point.

Are you wedded to Apple Music?  There are other digital services that are likely much better.  Not sure where Apple is at the moment but Tidal and Qobuz are excellent.  If you don’t have to have Apple Music you can ditch that, find a streamer that integrates with one of the above two (or one you find you like) and move on.  If you like Apple Music and don’t want to move on, then just use the streaming capabilities of the A8 and enjoy.  You can also trial Tidal and Qobuz via your A8 to see if you like them enough to move on from Apple Music.

I subscribed to Apple one, which is a family plan and includes Apple Music besides other must have features, and I cannot do without it now. However most streamers does not have native Apple Music, can only work with bt or airplay, which typically downgrade the quality. Tidal is great but I need to pay for a duplicate service.

I just looked it up and Apple Music is all lossless up to 24bit 192khz.  You might not notice any difference between tracks on Apple vs Tidal or Qobuz.