Close, but no cigar ...

Whenever I get amp-upgrade fever there are a few brands/models that always make the top 3 or 4 on my list. But for one reason or another, they are never the finalist. It is definitely not a case of whether I think they are inferior in any way compared to my eventual choice. I know I probably would have been equally happy with either one, but honestly I don't know why I never end up buying them. So here's my list of the also-rans (but not inferior) that I would love to own some day. By the way, I'm only including amps that are within my budget ($4-8K new or used) and in close range to what I usually end up buying ...

Pass Labs INT-60 -- this was a top contender, but I just couldn't find a way to audition. Then a used Luxman 590AXII popped up and I went that way. However, I still wonder if I should have gone with the legendary Nelson Pass' design. 

Hegel H390 -- this is another amp that seems to get a lot of love on the forums. Would love to own one some day. I didn't pull the trigger because I had concerns about Roon integration (a must for me).

Ayre AX-5 Twenty -- another one that gets a lot of respect. New is out reach, but I've seen used ones pop up for sale every now and then.

McIntosh -- I'm not listing a specific model. This is probably one of the most iconic brands with unmatched pedigree and history. There have been times when I was tempted to buy one of their integrated amps, but always got cold feet. I know Mac doesn't get a lot of love on these forums, and that's probably a major factor that it never makes it past the finish line. But I feel that it's an itch I have to scratch some day to see what the fuss is all about.

So what are the top 3 or 4 amplifier models that you would love to own some day, are within reach budget-wise, but just never seem to end up in your music room?

128x128arafiq

WHATEVER you get, spend time to optimize room/speaker.

After that, stay off audio forums to enjoy music.

I, too, would love to try out the amps you mentioned, adding Luxman to top of the list.

But for the price of the H390, you can't touch anything on your list. I got the H390 last year for $5K, new. I can't imagine getting more for the money.