Close, but no cigar ...

Whenever I get amp-upgrade fever there are a few brands/models that always make the top 3 or 4 on my list. But for one reason or another, they are never the finalist. It is definitely not a case of whether I think they are inferior in any way compared to my eventual choice. I know I probably would have been equally happy with either one, but honestly I don't know why I never end up buying them. So here's my list of the also-rans (but not inferior) that I would love to own some day. By the way, I'm only including amps that are within my budget ($4-8K new or used) and in close range to what I usually end up buying ...

Pass Labs INT-60 -- this was a top contender, but I just couldn't find a way to audition. Then a used Luxman 590AXII popped up and I went that way. However, I still wonder if I should have gone with the legendary Nelson Pass' design. 

Hegel H390 -- this is another amp that seems to get a lot of love on the forums. Would love to own one some day. I didn't pull the trigger because I had concerns about Roon integration (a must for me).

Ayre AX-5 Twenty -- another one that gets a lot of respect. New is out reach, but I've seen used ones pop up for sale every now and then.

McIntosh -- I'm not listing a specific model. This is probably one of the most iconic brands with unmatched pedigree and history. There have been times when I was tempted to buy one of their integrated amps, but always got cold feet. I know Mac doesn't get a lot of love on these forums, and that's probably a major factor that it never makes it past the finish line. But I feel that it's an itch I have to scratch some day to see what the fuss is all about.

So what are the top 3 or 4 amplifier models that you would love to own some day, are within reach budget-wise, but just never seem to end up in your music room?

128x128arafiq

Showing 1 response by tomic601