Clearaudio Clarify Help Needed!

I am in the process of setting up the Clearaudio Ovation turntable with Clarify tonearm I purchased used. All good until came time to move the counterweight to adjust cartridge downforce.

The counterweight will not move. The tt manual is a piece of crap, lacking information and offering only a few lousy photos. It states "By loosen the screw on the counterweight on the tonearm-tube you can adjust the tracking force of your cartridge by moving the counterweight (shown in the picture below)." The picture shows the counterweight (CW) on the tonearm tube with a red arrow pointing in one direction and a green arrow in the other. There is no indication of where the "screw on the counterweight" is located. I have located a very tiny set screw on the underside of the counterweight, but don't have an allen wrench tiny enough, long enough to reach it. Could this be the "screw on the counterweight" I can "loosen"? It is only accessible if I remove the tonearm - which would make balancing the arm very difficult, as after balancing it I would have to remove it again to tighten the screw? Why would Clearaudio have buried the set screw on the bottom of the counterweight, where inaccessible without removing arm?

There is a knob on the back end of the tonearm. Is this the "screw" I'm supposed to "loosen" to free my tonearm? I turned it both directions but it had no effect on the freedom of the counterweight. It appears to connect to a long spring that runs the length of the tonearm? What is the purpose of this knob? How am I to know when it is properly turned to proper position? Why is there no mention of it in the "user manual"?

Any help much appreciated!

Balthus

128x128balthus

The thing at the end of the tonearm that Balthus is futzing with is not meant to be turned and I wouldn't be surprised if his futzing hasn't added to his problem. 

This comment is wrong.

The adjustment of tracking force requires the knob on the end of the arm to be rotated ( whilst you hold the arm tube ).

As you look at the arm from the rear, turning it clockwise reduces tracking weight, turning it anticlockwise increases tracking weight.

From the manual

Roter Pfeil (Verschiebung Richtung Tonarmende)
= weniger Auflagekraft ->
Drehknopf im Uhrzeigersinn drehen (rechts)
Grüner Pfeil (Verschiebung Richtung
Tonarmanfang) =
mehr Auflagekraft ->
Drehknopf gegen den Uhrzeigersinn drehen (links)

Unfortunately the Germans can't read German.

Drehknopf - in English is rotary knob, in their English translation they call it the counterweight, which is not correct. you rotate the knob on the end of the arm, not the counterweight. No screws involved.

@dover Thank you for making that correction about Clarify VTF adjustment. I noticed it was wrong but no longer have that arm and haven’t for some time, so let it go.

The Clarify, Magnify, Universal (and Tracer I think) all adjust VTF using the knurled thumbscrew at the back end of the arm. You don't actually need to hold the arm tube when you do it either. I have about 13 years experience using Clarify, Magnify, and Universal. :)