Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

Showing 27 responses by mahler123

Jcazador

I heard Ormandy conduct the Philadelphians in the Berlioz Requiem
in Ann Arbor in the late seventies.  I was unfamiliar with the piece.  My seat was in the balcony and boy was I surprised when the guys sitting two rows in front of me dressed in tuxedos took out their horns and proceeded to blow the roof off the place!
I heard Milstein in recital months before he died, in Chicago.  The outstanding memory is of hom playing the Bach Second Partita (the one with the great Chaconne), simply staggering playing, particularly for an Octagenarian.  After he died many CDs were issued on labels such as Doremi of live Milstein concerts through the years, and that Bach Partita was a staple of through the years, so it must have been firmly in his fingers until the end.
   Milstein DG set of the complete Bach Sonatas and Partitas is still my favorites.
I hi haven’t heard any Julia Fisher recordings since she left Pentatone, but I have all those recordings and play them in MC constantly.  I also got to see her live at the Aspen Music festival back when she was making those Pentatone records, once playing the Brahms Concerto and once in a Mendelssohn Tirol with Muller-Schott and damned if I can remember Pianist now...anyway, in concert she sounds a lot more electric than in the studio 
Glad Ragland that you enjoyed the Concert, RVW.  I share your lack of enthusiasm for the Liszt Concerto but fail to have more than a middling interest in the Rachmaninoff Second Symphony.  Nice clarinet solo in the slow movement, rocket theme in the start of the scherzo, otherwise not my cup of borscht.  Ymmv
I just purchased a used set of Haitink’s Shostakovich cycle, which was split between the Concertgebouw and the LPO.  I had owned a couple of them on lp, none digitally.  All I can say is wow.  Not only is BH inside of DSCH idiom, but the late seventies Decca analog recordings are superb in their impact
I just saw Paul Lewis in Chicago last night, playing the Beethoven PCs 1/4 with Andrew Davis conducting.  He is a great player.  I had only heard one recording of his a few years ago that left me a bit underwhelmed but last night was wonderful.
btw, the Brendel recording of the last 3 Schubert Sonatas are not only great performances, but one of the most natural sounding recordings of a Piano made in the analog era
I've been into American Composers lately, particularly Symphonists of the first half of the Century.  Howard Hanson, Walter Piston, Charles Ives, William Schuman primarily.  I've been less enamored with Menin, Diamond, and Perischetti, but still American Composers are so underrepresented compared to their European counterparts
Arthur Foote...don’t know of him...what pieces would be a good place to start?
Listening to Jordi Savall Beethoven 1-5 in multichannel.  Simply superb.  You fall in love all over again

I had one Lupu lp that I loved, all Brahms, the Second Rhapsody and some of the late Piano works.  I saw him in recital 20 years ago.  He seemed uncomfortable in the large Orchestra Hall venue, maybe just a bad afternoon.  I purchased a box labeled “The Complete Decca Recordings “ and it’s only around 12 discs, a relatively small recorded legacy, and not much for the last 3 decades or so.  R.I.P.

I saw Nicola in Chicago a few years ago .  After she played the WarHorse Concerto she encored with a few Scottish ditties, and her personality really came out.  She is a tiny person, btw, barely 5 feet and probably a size 1.5….

I never got the Celi cult.  All I can say is that his Munich concert goers must of had strong bladders to make it through his glacial performances.  

I listened to Jascha Horenstein conduct Brahms3 with the Southwestern German Orchestra. On a Pristine Audio restoration of a late mono era Vox recording.  I’ve had the Vox for years though I haven’t played it that often.  The Pristine enhancement is definitely worth it.  One now perceives air around the instruments and a real soundstage.  Solo woodwinds are more prominent, and what used to be a third tier sounding Orchestra now at least sounds second rate.

I admire JH, and collect many of his recordings, but his Brahms 3 isn’t really for me.  It is definitely old school, autumnal Brahms, although extremely well done.  It sounds deliberate and thoughtful, and not like the flabby mess that Giulini made at the end of his career, and less gimmicky than Bernstein’s outing with the VPO

I haven't hear Nelsons in Brahms.  The reviews have been somewhat mixed.  For the record my favorite cycles are

1) Kurt Sanderling/Dresden Staatkapele  mine are on Japanese Blue Spec discs but they always seem to be in print somewhere. 

2) Walter/Columbia SO (stereo-there are several Walter mono cycles which are even better performances) only a low energy Fourth keeps this from top rank 

3) Klemperer/Philharmonia  O.K., Klemperer could be granitic, but Brahms was definitely in his wheelhouse

4) Jurowski/Pittsburgh  on Pentatone-the best Multichannel set

5) Karajan/Berlin P   I give my nod to the seventies cycle, but there is a more exciting live Brahms cycle from the early seventies recorded in Paris in good FM stereo available from Norbeck,Peters, and Ford (norpete.com) that blows away the studio cycles.  The more live Karajan I hear, the more I realize that he could have tremendous spontaneity)

I'd like to hear the Steinberg/Pittsburgh set that was just released by DG, I think it is mentioned a bit upthread

The Janowski is a solid cycle.  Pittsburgh is a great, and under rated orchestra, the interpretations are well shaped, and Pentatone is truly  an audiophile label.  If you are a Multichannel enthusiast, there really is no other MC Brahms cycle that comes close (I have 3 others-maser/Gewandhaus, Manze/Helsingborg, and Paavo Jarvi with the Bremen Chamber Orchestra on Blu Ray.  The Jarvi is excellent but it's small band Brahms, much like Berglund/COE.  You do miss some oomph in the bigger moments).  If you don't care about multichannel, the Janowski is still a worthy set that sounds great in two channel.

I have been listening to an oldie but goodie Brandenberg, Karl Ristenpart with the Chamber Orchestra of the Saar.  It will sound anachronistic next to HIPP versions but I love it.  The players (including Rampal, Andre, and Veyron-Lacoix) are superb and the tempos are sane.  Their is energy in the music, demonstrating that one doesn’t need hyper caffeination to sound involved

I love the Hogwood Mozart Requiem, but it’s a curio because he refuses to use any notes that might have the taint of Sussmayr, so it sounds very truncated.  I think that is being a bit extreme, since Sussmayr was an accomplished 18th century composer, had been a student of WAM, and was the choice of Frau Mozart to finish it off.

I found digital copies of all the Ristenpart Bach recordings, a 6 CD set from France, via eBay, at about $15 per CD.  A bit pricey, but I had bought a turntable and phono pre just so I could play treasured LPs that are unavailable digitally, and a substantial fraction of my lp collection are the aforementioned Ristenpart Bach recordings.  I had bought a handful of other Nonesuch and Vox/Turnabout recordings that I now have been able to locate digital versions as well.  Considering selling the analog rig as listening to these noisy, poorly pressed records is reminding me of why I got out of vinyl in the first place

Can you use headphones?  Also -just curious if listening sans subs puts any significant strain on the rest of your speakers, though I suspect not.  
  I actually used a recording of Beethoven op 59/1 and 59/3, the first and third Razumovsky Quartets, to audition a sub, many years ago.  The salesman was aghast and kept trying to play some rap to show the boom factor.  My reasoning was that the Beethoven with its extended cello parts would reflect the kind of bass that I was more likely to reproduce.  I had also remembered reading that a musical sub should make even a solo flute sound better by enhancing the room ambience.  I would use other music now-Shostakovich Fifteenth Symphony comes to mind-to test a sub, but the Beethoven Quartets would still be useful.

Regarding the Op. 18 works, I prefer: 1) ensembles who play them big and bold, and not like embryonic Mozart; and 2) Vibrato, please.  I really dislike Quartets that eschew all vibrato (and coincidentally play at crazy speeds) and completely blow the expressive effects of the music.

My longstanding favorites are the Hungarian Quartet (stereo version)) and the Cleveland Quartet.  Most of the more modern recordings I’ve heard are HIPP and therefore excluded by at least one of my criteria 

Don’t know the Krips record that you referenced and I really can’t remember my first recording of the Mozart Requiem .  A late mono Walter was the only lp that I had; it’s usually Jordi Savall that turn to now

Don’t know the Krips record that you referenced and I really can’t remember my first recording of the Mozart Requiem .  A late mono Walter was the only lp that I had; it’s usually Jordi Savall that turn to now

I also once was out phase when I auditioned new speaker wire.  After unhooking the sample cables I mistakenly rewired the original and didn’t notice until the order of the new cable came in a few weeks later.  I had the vague feeling that something was off without being able to figure out just what 

When I first started reading about subwoofers the dogma was that one only required one, and many in addition argued that position of the sub relative to the main speakers wasn’t very important.  The justification for both of these points was that bass tends to be unidirectional and the low frequency wave forms are difficult to place as to origin in a soundstage.

I quickly learned that the second part of the proposition just isn’t true as sub placement is very critical but I just use one sub in all my systems.  The current dogma seems to be use 2 or 4 subs.  The systems that I have heard with multiple subs don’t impress me, but their owners don’t tend to listen to the music that I prefer

@rvpiano 

I raised the one sub issue in reference to your current problem with your Tritons.  My understanding was that you currently had the enclosed sub working in one speaker only.  My point was that if systems are generally well served with just one sub, do you notice a difference if only one is intact?