“Classic” phono stages 2007-20013?

Hay gang, curious... what were some of the best/Classic of the “older tech” phonostages? Could be even earlier, just exploring that era of components!
geof3

Showing 4 responses by geof3

Overall the time span probably isn’t that tight. Perhaps the better way to phrase the question would have been “older phono stages”. My analog gear is from that era, and it might be cool to find a top notch piece from that time... see how it matches up. Unfortunately, many of the ARC pieces don’t have enough gain for a low MC. So my choices are find a cool piece MM/MC or MM with a SUT. That just adds another cable set etc. in an already challenging ground situation, another set of cables is something I would prefer to avoid. Currently I’m running a Moon 5.3 SS. Not at all unhappy with it. But then, I really haven’t heard many phono stages at this point. Never heard a tube stage though, and I’m thinking about giving one a shot. Thus the question... 
I might need to give the EAR834p a shot. It sounds like it hits “all the buttons” so to speak... by far the one most mentioned here so far!
Regarding the EAR, it would appear it does not have capacitance adjustments. Is using it a bit of a crap shoot with MC carts? Or is there some magic in the EAR that makes this a non issue?