Classe' DR-6 MKI vs MKII

Hi,

I wish to buy an old Classe' DR-6 to drive my Jeff Rowland Model One and my ML Aerius. I wish to know if the last DR-6 version (balanced inputs and outputs) reflects a true balanced design and the overall quality of the sound respect to the first DR-6 version (balanced outputs only).

Thank you for your help.

Regards.

Luca
luca58
I am guessing that you are drawn to the DR-6 in any incarnation, but you have a chance to get a deal on a particular one as we speak, and are asking for a little insight as to whether or not it is a good risk. With that in mind, I admit to quite a bit of experience with this model, but have no experience with other preamps in my system since I bought mine nearly 20 years ago. I remember going through a string of preamps over a period of ore than five years since I decided to upgrade. Trying new gear in the 90's was easy for those of us in driving distance to Salon I Audio in Wisconsin Rapids, where the owner treated customers like royalty. I don't remember all the preamps that marched through my living room back then, but I do remember briefly owning a top of the line Counterpoint, as well as a magnificent Klimo and matching Merlin phono stage that at the time cost double what I eventually paid for the DR-6.

Once I installed the Classe, I gradually lost interest in preamps and lost the obsession to keep looking. I am sure there are probably some better ones out there, especially with so many excellent newer materials and components, but I don't care to go down that road even today. I have just gone through two years of system upgrades incorporating well over a hundred changes, the only mods to the preamp are pretty fundamental. Both the preamp and its separate power supply rest on their own isolation platforms. The PS is on a 18"x12"x2" maple cutting board resting on mapleshade isoblocks. It's feet have been replaced by Herbie's dots. The preamp's sits on Herbie's Lamp Black roller platforms and its maple block is also on mapleshade blocks. It really sees to like good power cords. I am currently using an old Top gun but also sounds nice with asynergistics master coupler I bought on Audiogon. In the future, I am hoping to replace the umbilical with a special version from Revelation Audio Labs that is said to put it in another league altogether.

I no longer use the phono section after falling in love with several low output moving coils that required just a bit more oomph than the Classe provides, so it is currently used only as a line stage.

The balanced in/outputs are not just for show. I used mine to control a pair of AtmaSphere MA-1's until they went bad last winter. I am now running a pair of 600w D-Sonic monoblocks balanced and use the balanced input from an OPPO BDP-95 for cd and SACD. even with the volume turned all the way up, there is no hiss or hum when listening to the speakers from an inch away (no signal, of course).

My Classe has never needed service, despite being in service continuously while always powered up for more than 20 years.

So, if you are thinking that you might get a giant killer preamp from the past for six or seven hundred dollars, you are right to consider one of these. But, if you have the totally unrealistic expectation that your bargain bin preamp is going to sound fantastically neutral, be quiet as the grave, provide a superb phono stage, sound wonderful matched to a pair of $7000 tube amps or even the new high-powered class d amps, and can be improved with application of fundamental audiophile setup tweaks and advanced cable technology that just never happened when it was new, you will probably not be disappointed.
Thank you very much for your very kind helps.

Your descriptions of DR-5/DR-6 performance make me aware that some problems occur in my listening room, so that some frequencies are modified leading to the bright sound. I'll try to find these problems.

Any comments on the possible choice between DR-6 and Synergy?

Thank you.
@ J135 and Brf

Thank you for your suggestion as I have never listened to the Capri preamplifier. I have just read the few words reported by the unofficial JRDG info database of hifi-advice.com site on the Capri-Synergy comparison: "

Capri
2006-2013
Retail price - 3098 euro
The Capri is a sort of Synergy lite, but more compact in a new smaller width, with switch-mode power supply and slightly less features. According to friends, it sounds more accute and less full/fluid than earlier more elaborate designs."

Don't you agree with this opinion?