Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
I used to covet the Micro Seiki tables but they were out of my price range back then. I settled for a very nice affordable and snazzy Philips 312.

My system I bought while there (dorm room sized) was Hitachi 802 Class G receiver, Phillps 312 table, Grado cart, Aiwa AD6550 cassette deck ( I loved that sexy beast), and OHM L speakers. Still have the OHM Ls that I’ve maintained and upgraded myself since. They can still compete and sound better than ever with my Class D amps.

I upgraded to a Tandberg tr2080 receiver I also coveted while at tech a couple years later bought at Leonard Radio on Route 17 in paramus NJ, a wonderful local shop  at the time.
The Ohm F's were the dream speaker at Tech. I listened to them often dreaming of having a set. Yes, they are still fantastic...
Such an interesting discussion!

I'm perhaps a month into my Class D audition and I am very pleased.  I agree with other posters that the goal is good sound and comparing my new Bel Canto ref600ms to my Supernait 2....well, it's not even close - the Bel Cantos are better in so many ways - dynamics, speed (yes, even against the PRaT Naim) and in particular imaging.  The bass is excellent with so much more control and I find the mid/hi excellent as well.  No ear ringing here!  

I'm still comparing and learning - but I suspect soon my Supernait 2 will bo going to the 'Gon.  

Since I am having fun exploring I may try to pick up a Class A or A/B to power mid/highs and keep the D's for the bass to bi-amp. 

All in all, have to agree with mapman.  I could live with this setup indefinitely - incredible sound more than anything.  The benefits of small size and efficiency are just frosting on the cake.  I'm tempted to find a Bel Canto 3.7 or similar preamp/dac to simplify my rig and save some $$$.  As always, it will depend on the sound!

P

Geekboy I run arc sp16 tube preamp and mhdt Constantine DAC into my Bel Canto ref1000m amps. Also a Bel Canto c5i integrated in my second smaller system. . I spend many hours just listening and enjoying more so than ever. Class D amps and my Ohm Walsh style speakers together are the most likely to not be replaced anytime soon at this point.
BTW I have used Triangle Titus monitors now for many years with a lot of gear and these are currently running of Bel Canto C5i Class D integrated and the sound with these tiny very resolving monitors is the best ever. Absolutely no signs of brightness or edge which I have found to be possible with many amps.  The sound is just lovely overall. Same true with Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkII monitors I’ve used with the C5i. Both Dynaudio and Triangle sound absolutely marvelous with c5i (as do OHM Walsh speakers) but I lean towards the Triangles over the Dynaudios with the c5i mainly because they are more efficient than the Dynaudios and the 60 w/ch output of the c5i is plenty for the Triangles whereas the less efficient Dynaudios are not fully engaged with only 60w/ch.