Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
Mapman +1.  People are tossing terms like "nonlinear" or "lots of distortion" without even understanding the principle of operation.  I can understand when people don't like sound of particular class D amp with their speakers, but tossing pseudo-technical terms is plain silly while starting thread using such terms is ill minded.
kijanki, here is my reference for Class D not being a linear technology and having a lot of distortion that needs to be removed with an output filter. http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/an-1071.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153559538eb0ff1
Nonsense.  Not only that I don't know what they mean by "Pumping back the energy" in half bridge configuration (that I use all the time) but at least they don't mention limited resolution.  Such statements:

However, the differential output structure of the bridge topology inherently can cancel even the order of harmonic distortion components and DC offsets, as in Class AB amplifiers. A fullbridge topology allows of the use of a better PWM modulation scheme, such as the three level PWM which essentially has fewer errors due to quantization.
are gibberish.  Just in case your'e interested Icepower is Full Bridge while Hypex is Half bridge.  Which one is better - let your ears to be the judge.   Full bridge places half of the supply voltage on the speaker wires all the time. Look at incredibly low THD and IMD specifications (and measured data) of class D amps - not possible with non-linear amplifiers.  In all this discussion about errors (power supply voltage or dead time) author forgets about negative feedback (dual in Icepower amps).  Without this feedback class AB amps would sound like shit.

Their conclusion:  
Highly efficient Class D amplifiers now provide similar performances to conventional Class AB amplifier
Has anyone heard or used the Devialet integrated amps? And their "Hybrid" class D technology?  They have received some great reviews.   K
Devialet, hah, if you enjoy overpaying by %900 for a basic low level all in one which sounds no better than a Best Buy receiver at 300$, go ahead.  

Local stereo shop has these, they are seriously nothing special, I have heard them with those big$$ Cremona speakers, Martin Logan ES speakers, sure the Martin logans go a little louder due to more watts, but those watts are poor.   

I must have spent 4-5 hrs in the shop that day as I bought a new CD player, and listened to every room they had. McIntosh monos' , devialet, NAD, A pair of tube amps by McIntosh that were restored by the owner, and 3-4 other amps, several speakers, etc etc.  I was not impressed, but my son was, who fell asleep listening to Pink Floyd through the McIntosh/Cremona combo.   

If you need small footprint, and are financially stable, go ahead buy them, you will be fine, but there is WAY better for far less, and goosebumps do come with other brands free of charge. 

Just my worthless two cents. 

-MY humble opinion-

i don't want to come off as a di*k, I'm not, this is only my opinion of my listening experience, if you like them, buy them. 
I would personally go with another Sunfire Signature 600, send to bill flannerys for a update/overhaul, and be happy for 15+ years.