Class D ICEpower 1200as2 vs. Purifi 1ET7040SA amplifiers

Greetings,

Has anyone compared the ICEpower 1200as2 vs. Purifi 1ET7040SA amplifier in their hifi setup?  Legacy Audio uses the ICEpower module in their i-V2 Ultra and Doug Schroeder did a nice review on it.  I first read about the i-V2 Ultra in Doug's review on the Pure Audio Project Trio15/Coax10 review.  I just ordered these speakers, so I am interested in this amp.  I researched a myriad of class D amps and I've narrowed down my interest to the following; GaNFet (AGD Audion), Purifi (Apollon w/Sparkos opamp), MOSFET (Bel Canto REF601M) and ICEPower (Legacy Audio I-V2 Ultra). 

I know ICEpower modules are older class D technology, but if they are equal or outperform the latest offerings, that's all that matters to me.  Plus, I understand they are reliable as they have been around for a long time. 

I owned PS Audio's M700's and S300 amps which use ICEPower modules and they sounded really good, but I sold them several years ago to explore the world of tubes.  I'm back to solid state now and interested in the latest class D offerings.

Any impressions/experience with the icepower 1200as2 vs. Purifi 1ET7040SA amplifiers are welcomed.  I've already read good reviews on both of them, so a comparison between the two would be most helpful.  In addition, let me know if you have compared any of the class D amps in my list in the first paragraph.  I understand I need to hear them for myself, but I still appreciate your opinions!

Thanks in advance

128x128dbt

Showing 1 response by lewinskih01

@dbt 

AGD certainly gets high praise consistently. I believe the Tempos are around $5k and at that price point another GaN amp that gets high praise is Atma-Sphere class D. You can search comments in this forum about how owners of Ralph's tube amps have switched to his class D. It's also a stereo chassis, larger than Tempos I think. I haven't owned (nor heard) Atma-Sphere equipment but Ralph (who is active in this forum) is certainly knowledgeable and gets good comments on customer assistance (two traits you noted are valuable to you). Worth looking into, I think.

@markmuse 

Could you please elaborate on the differences in sound between the Tempos and LSA Voyager? It's clear the Tempos are better overall, in line with the price differential, but I'm wondering if the differences you noted were centered around bass, midrange, treble or other.