Class D amps that are superior to all or most?

Recently, I have heard about some Class D amps that may be close to the best there is regardless of class. Certainly, this technology has been in development for decades. The main issue has always been the switching power supply. In this regard, I have taken notice of AGD. They have created a whole new power supply that “switches” at a frequency 100 times the normal silicon based MOSFET. The designer uses a gallium nitride based PS. Interesting, it is enclosed in the KT88 glass envelope that sits on top of his amps. I am aware of two more pricey amps that seem to be also at the top- the Solution and the Merrill. There must be others that compete for the title. After my thread, “Is there a SS amp that can satisfy a SET guy?”, I am still on the quest.
Don’t want to spend $50K!
mglik
Class D will live along side Class A, A/B and tube amps it will not replace any of these. I personally like the ability to choose, with class D approaching the performance level of class A and SET amps we all should be happy.
jjss49

05-07-2021 1:13am

there is something to the notion that many class d stages are a little too clean

That's the way I prefer my listening experience.

To be honest I can't imagine why it would even be considered a negative.

Warm sound just doesn't do a thing for me. Likewise, I detest tinted glasses.
I own multiple Class D ice amps the best IMO being the NewClear NCL1000. They sound fantastic! They are clean and unbiased. I want instruments to sound how they do in real life not warmed over or made up for the big dance. I would put these amps up against anything in their power class. Don’t get me wrong I have heard A & AB amps I like better but I’m not spending $25k or more to get them. As some have mentioned, a lot has to do with what else is in your system. If everything in the chain is bright, class D might not sound great but if matched with the correct pre amp, speakers they can sound absolutely amazing. On the opposite end, I don’t enjoy listening to music when we have tubes throughout. Best part is we can all be right... there are as many manufacturers and component options to play with as there are ears in this thread. I’m sure there is a combination that works for everyone. So listen to as much as you can and keep your mind as open as you think your ears are.
"Using a mono module per channel is exactly the same thing as using one channel of a stereo module.....no difference. I know, I did both....same sound. My amps were dual mono using mono IceEdge".

Happy to say, for once I agree with Ric.

I too had dual mono 1200AS2 modules. Using two modules (1 channel from each) was exactly the same as using both channels from a single module. I know Mike from Mivera also had the same conclusion.

And here’s the dumb thing about the Legacy Audio offering. If you have 8 ohm speakers, they both state 610 watts for the regular vs ultra series. Rather than using the 1200AS1 (slightly cheaper), it’s obvious they’re buying the 1200AS2 in bulk to simplify things and get better pricing. IMO, their total cost on the 8 channel (4 modules) is probably < $1800 all in, and their selling them for $8k - ouch!

It would be interesting to see what they charge for servicing. These modules are built as disposable in the event of a failure. Basically, fixing these amps are a fixed cost to Legacy since they would just replace the entire module.
@toddk31 

Nice to hear from a fellow EVS1200 owner. In my experience it sounds significantly better without the Kubes and the top OFF. I bought a cheap AC filter to keep dust out. I also have Machina Dynamica springs for isolation. Also, PCs can make a big difference

hth