Class D amplifier with TPA 3250 board

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased my endgame setup comprised of Closer Acoustics Ogy speakers (91 SPL), REL T5X subwoofer and a custom hand built tube amplifier with EL34 tubes. The tube amplifier is giving me trouble with hissing noises, so it's constantly at the artisan's workshop. Since my speakers are extremely efficient, I was wondering about smaller amplifiers as an escape route (if the artisan can't fix the amp, he surely can). The Octavio Amp looks nice on paper. So does the Atoll IN80. Is one obviously better than the other for my revealing speakers?

Folks on another forum I shall not name seem to heavily imply that all amplifiers should sound the same (or very similar). They rave about these cheap tiny Topping/Aiyima amplifiers with class D TPA 3250 amplifier boards. These same boards are used in Genelec active monitors, so they must be good? I'm flustered because there no direct comparisons between these TPA 32xx amplifiers and more conventional/expensive branded amplifiers. The same folks on the forum I shall not name imply that I'm a dunce for spending so much money on a tube amplifier (quote: it's a distortion factory and it can't play grindcore metal music so it sucks). If it weren't for the hiss I wouldn't post here. 

Can I cheap class D amp replace a custom hand-wired EL34 tube amplifier for extremely revealing Closer Acoustics Ogy speakers?

128x128kokakolia

@kokakolia yeah but you chose to get the cheapest of the bunch, which is fine, but you might have gotten a better volume pot AND more bass (to be honest I'm surprised about the lack of bass, but of course in the end 10 watts is just 10 watts) with a Trends or an Amptastic ;) 

As long as you're happy it's all that matters. Enjoy :)

@rolox The Amptastic vanished from existence. This amp was my first choice, the price was very reasonable at around 100€. And the design was perfect.

The Trends was 200€ and with the same on paper specs as the Sure. I read a review somewhere comparing the Trends with the Sure and the conclusion was that differences were negligible.

Granted, the Sure amp is a bit of a false bargain because the price hikes to 80€ with external power supply + shipping.

On a side note I’m shocked how much the REL T5x improves the sound. It makes me wonder how the far cheaper but still delightful Q Acoustics 2020 sounds like with the REL.

Do I really need such bespoke speakers (OGY) if I have a REL?

Answering that question would require spending more money and time. So I won't bother to find out. 

I have built several Class D amplifiers.  I used a TPA3255 by 3e audio.  I switched out a few key caps on the board. I used a 12 amp switching supply and added 120,000 mfd for the supply.  I engaged the PFFB circuit which makes the frequency response stable at all impedance loads, I wired it for balanced operation.  

Hello, new here. Been looking at the 3E Audio 3255 PCB for my next build. Did you find it an improvement over the Aiyima A07 TPA-3255 based unit soundwise?

Thanks much.