Class D amplifier with TPA 3250 board

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased my endgame setup comprised of Closer Acoustics Ogy speakers (91 SPL), REL T5X subwoofer and a custom hand built tube amplifier with EL34 tubes. The tube amplifier is giving me trouble with hissing noises, so it's constantly at the artisan's workshop. Since my speakers are extremely efficient, I was wondering about smaller amplifiers as an escape route (if the artisan can't fix the amp, he surely can). The Octavio Amp looks nice on paper. So does the Atoll IN80. Is one obviously better than the other for my revealing speakers?

Folks on another forum I shall not name seem to heavily imply that all amplifiers should sound the same (or very similar). They rave about these cheap tiny Topping/Aiyima amplifiers with class D TPA 3250 amplifier boards. These same boards are used in Genelec active monitors, so they must be good? I'm flustered because there no direct comparisons between these TPA 32xx amplifiers and more conventional/expensive branded amplifiers. The same folks on the forum I shall not name imply that I'm a dunce for spending so much money on a tube amplifier (quote: it's a distortion factory and it can't play grindcore metal music so it sucks). If it weren't for the hiss I wouldn't post here. 

Can I cheap class D amp replace a custom hand-wired EL34 tube amplifier for extremely revealing Closer Acoustics Ogy speakers?

128x128kokakolia

Showing 7 responses by rolox

@kokakolia yeah but you chose to get the cheapest of the bunch, which is fine, but you might have gotten a better volume pot AND more bass (to be honest I'm surprised about the lack of bass, but of course in the end 10 watts is just 10 watts) with a Trends or an Amptastic ;) 

As long as you're happy it's all that matters. Enjoy :)

@atmasphere I'm not familiar with the Topping amps but, aside from the Trends and Breeze Audio used in my main system, I own a few SMSL cheapies and I don't find them boring sounding. YMMV of course, and they certainly aren't as good and refined as the Trends or Amptastic - they do provide more power tho. They are best used with sensitive speakers and well within their limitations, and the ones that allow for input potentiometer bypass benefit from a good full size preamp. They also respond very well to a better non SMPS power supply. But yeah obviously they won't provide the euphonic sound of a good tube amp.

@kokakolia most likely place would be eBay

Trends TA10.1, Amptastic Mini1, there are plenty of others like the Bantam Gold (a bit more expensive)

You could also experiment with the other Chinese stuff, like SMSL, Topping, Aiyma - they sound good and powerful and lively but there is slightly less attention to passive components making them a little bit less refined sounding. Still, great little amps for not much money. I live in Belgium, by the way. ;-)

I also order a LOT from AliExpress if you can't find what you want on Amazon or eBay, and I never had any issue so far (choose the right vendor with plenty of good reviews)

I own a very high sensitivity, fully horn loaded system (averaging 105dB sensitivity).

After many years swapping various "classic" amps, and being more or less happy, the death of the last pure class A amp I was using prompt me to try on a very low power class D amp, with a Tripath tA2024 chip. The amp is a heavily modded (all passive components) trends TA10.1

Let me tell you, it was a shock: the tiny cheap amp not only sounded very good, it was also more silent, and of course stays cold and doesn't draw much expensive electricity.

Since then, I've replaced most stuff in my system, and I'm now tri-amping, but the tiny class D amp stayed. I use another, even cheaper, class D amp on the 60 to 500Hz range, and only the subs still use class AB amps.

I'm thoroughly happy with how it sounds, in fact I think my system is at its best with those amps, they are completely devoid of noise and very lively and detailed, almost like a SET amp. The system stays on 24/7, the amps stay cold, they are completely fool proof, very transparent (you hear every upwards change immediately), for me there's no going back! No more headaches!!!

I encourage you to try one, but be aware that they are not all made equal, maybe start with something that has some "audiophile" pretentions like a Trends or a Charlize or an Amptastic. You will be VERY surprised (always with a good preamplifier in front! The Trends and Amptastic allow you to bypass their input level potentiometer, which gives even more transparency.

They are also very sensitive to the power supply and swapping the cheap SMPS for a higher current, very low noise linear PSU and good power cords and umbilical DC cables brings huge improvements and raise the sound quality of those amps from "suprisingly decent little toys" to truly audiophile. Really, I'm not lying.

@kokakolia  okay, I'm curious (although I'm wary of the "barely any difference" affirmations) it's probably a neat little amp, I wonder if the TA2024 is an original tripath or a brand new Chinese copy (as long as it works it doesn't really matter)

Looks like it's mainly surface mount components inside (?) so tweaking might be difficult (maybe not needed), and the RCA and speaker connectors seem very cheap / small, but that's ok.

I believe you will be pleasantly surprised, give it a couple days of break in before judging its sound quality, and don't forget it's just barely 8watts / channel before distortion starts to raise (but 8 watts can be surprisingly loud).

Let us know how it sounds!

@kokakolia in my experience, and in my system, and to my ears, those little class T / D amps -when they are well built- can be far better sounding than any mass-market class AB solid state amps, like entry level Japanese. Then when you go higher in prices the scales revert but let me tell you, you can still be very surprised: I have a friend who bought some massive vintage French speakers (AudioReference 126DC, 97dB) and he first tried to use them with his big Musical Fidelity M6i, and the results were extremely "meh". Then I came to his place with a tiny Nuforce Icon amp, and the speakers came alive. The sound was more fresh, more vivid, more detailed. There is a certain quality that somehow brings you closer to the music (specially with TA2024 and TA2020 chips)

I’ll be curious to read what you think of it.

@kokakolia I was in Italy on vacation and somehow was unable to answer any post here on Audiogon from my phone (which is actually very annoying, I can only do it on my laptop)

I'm glad, and not really surprised, that you like your new class D cheapie. I have a feeling a lot of the "bad" rep comes from people who have never actually took the time to really try one in their system, or just took the cheapest crap they could find (like a Lepai) connected it to some garage speakers through lamp cord and are judging the whole bunch based on that.

My system is far from perfect but I never ever had someone telling me "you are using cheap class D amps, aren't you?" based on listening only. They usually say it sounds good then raise their eyebrows when they see the tiny amps on their shelf.

Enjoy your new toy!