Class D Amplification Announcement

After 60 some odd years of disappointment, Class D has finally arrived. As per The Absolute Sound’s Jonathan Valin, the Borrenson-designed Aavik P-580 amp “is the first Class D amplifier I can recommend without the usual reservations. …the P-580 does not have the usual digital-like upper-mid/lower-treble glare or brick wall-like top-octave cut-off that Class D amps of the past have evinced.”

Past designers of Class D and audiophiles, rejoice; Michael Borrenson has finally realized the potential of Class D.

psag

@aquint This scans well—every Soundstage! Review has "comparisons"—but I’m not so sure how helpful it actually is to a prospective purchaser, as there are likely a dozen candidates that he or she is considering, and Tim’s comparison product may not be among them. From my point of view, it’s more helpful to use the language of subjective audio reviewing and comparisons to live music to define the character of the gear being considered. We are just hoping to help a reader develop a short list of products to audition in the flesh, if that’s at all possible.

Yes Andy, on this point we will continue to disagree, but that’s ok. There’s always room for more than one opinion in the room, and if your method works for you and the readers still feel they get something out of it that’s really all that matters. As they say there’s always more than one way to skin a cat, different strokes for different folks, etc. I have to say it’s always nice to link up with a fellow reviewer because nobody knows what it’s really like to write product reviews except those who actually do it, and there are those on this site and elsewhere who completely dismiss what we do because we don’t trash products we review. I have my own thoughts on this, but I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

Cheers,

Tim

@arafiq

if you reach out to alberto i think you will find him responsive and very knowledgeable... obviously he will champion his (excellent) product and he will clearly explain how the audion monos differ from the one chassis stereo model in technical and practical terms

you are experienced at this hobby now, so i am sure that if/when you get an agd amp, you will listen to it on its own first, before coupling with tubed gear in the chain... you may well be surprised you may not want/need add’l ’tubey goodness’, (which certainly comes at a price monetarily, and usually, also sonically, to some degree, while bringing its gains)

i think i have mentioned this in an earlier post... i have been a hard-n-fast die-hard tube gear guy since the 90’s, i have much tube gear and boxes and boxes of so many tubes, but as my streaming journey has progressed since 2020, as the front end has gotten purer and purer, i now am ecstatic about the quality of sound i am getting without a single vacuum tube in the chain - i've come to realize how much of my perceived need for tubes in the chain was palliative in nature, solving for digititis and/or solid state artifacts introduced in the source and amp stages... in this crazy, unpredictable journey i have been on, i would never, never have thought i would be here... 

Andrew and Tim, welcome to this thread, you have certainly injected new life into it.  I applaud you both for engaging, names exposed, on a user's forum.  Andrew, assuming you are still affiliated with TAS, I am very appreciative of your candor. This is exactly the attitude that is needed to elevate TAS back to respect-worthy status.

TAS Editor, are you listening?   I forwarded this thread you several days ago, but you did not respond.

i've come to realize how much of my perceived need for tubes in the chain was palliative in nature, solving for digititis and/or solid state artifacts introduced in the source and amp stages... in this crazy, unpredictable journey i have been on, i would never, never have thought i would be here... 

@jjss49 I thought this was a very interesting point — as digital has gotten better with less edge, glare, etc. while simultaneously improving significantly in its ability to portray tone and microdynamics it’s at the point where it can now stand on its own without needing tubes to cover up former deficiencies.  That Ralph, the quintessential OTL tube supporter, now manufactures a GaN amp I think jibes with your experience.  Great time to be an audiophile. 

Michael Borresen is one sharp guy and it still amazes that he can design world-class speakers, and then go into amplifiers and other items as well. Prior Aavik pieces seem well-regarded (despite the prices of all Borresen designed items).    And then there is the obscene pricing for sn... oil products...

I have DSP room correction and minor DSP equalization and my good old McCormack DNA-1 as musical as it is, cannot hold a candle to my Class D W4S STI-1000. 

The W4S Class D integrated is silent at the speakers and runs 500w/1000w which is plenty for the old Raidho D2s. I get pure liquid detail and an iron grip on bass. I've never had a super expensive Cl A or AB to compare, but I am very happy now.