Class A or Class D solid-state amplifiers (modern designs)

Hey guys.

Class A is supposedly superior. Something to do with a conduction angle of 360 degrees...so the entire signal gets processed in one go without crossover distortion.

But in terms of sound quality (subjective enjoyment) is there a benefit to Class A? Can class D provide the same level of enjoyment?

The dealer I’m talking to says that really nice Class A amplifiers are designed for "reference quality" meaning completely true to the real life performance.

Let’s compare and contrast. Which one is technically better?

In other words, could you have equal technical performance and quality in a Class D amp?

- Jack.

jackhifiguy

I'm upset because I just found out you can't run a Class D amp in pure Class A

Post removed 

Class D fan boys, say what you want about class A it’s still the benchmark. Read the interviews with Bruno and the boys and you will find out that unlike what Nelson does which is small adjustments they had to actually add and remove components to their modules to get them to sound so transparent to your ears. I would rather have someone making tweaks then redesigning boards. But the rubes will buy what the rubes will buy, cheap rules. check those power ratings, if they are higher than what your speakers are rated for you are in for a heap of trouble. No one needs 725 W or 1225 W unless you are a band in a concert venue

@kawzx7 Your post doesn't seem to make sense. Perhaps you could clarify? BTW, one common misconception about class A vs class D is the first Watt, having to do with how well the amp behaves at the zero crossing. Both classes of operation do this extremely well if properly designed. Class D amps are inherently incapable of producing crossover or notch distortion just like class A in this regard. So you can get an extremely good first Watt from a class D if properly designed.

They don't all sound the same, just the same as class A in that regard. So if you've heard one you certainly have not heard them all.