Choose between McIntosh MA9000 used vs MA8950 new

I really need some input! I am trying to upgrade from my starter kit. I just found a used 4-5 years old MA9000, fine condition (except cosmetics), and is comparing to buying a new MA8950. Ma9000 has generous leg room (300 W) with more tone controls, bigger everything, but that was older 2017 technology and already discontinued. Ma8950 is less powerful (200W), but is the latest design, bit better DAC, more dynamic headroom (filter capacity). Now I cannot decide which one to go for. Btw I used streamer as my source most of the time, and driving a b&w 805 d4. Thanks for your help.

randywong

I have spent considerable time with this amp and would be proud to own one. In no way is this amp going to be the bottleneck or limiting factor of any system that most would assemble. It’s a strong argument for not having to buy separates. It’s that good. Plus you can always add an Amp. Yes the DAC card is that good.

Have owned a MA8950 for 2 years and streaming via a Bluesound Node 2i.  I’ve listened to many systems and I’m always amazed at how good my system sounds.  I think the DA2 module IS underrated.  You’ll love this amp.  If you had a chance to own a 9500 or a 12000, then you’d have more of a good thing but you dont need it unless you got the cash and the supporting equipment to take things to those higher levels. 

Thanks to all your inputs, which make me rethink my set up plan. I just got hold of a preowned c53, which has the da2 dac, similar to a 9500. I hooked up to an amp and digital in to its da2, the sound  is phenomenal! Now I see a good dac is very important.

The 8950 has the same DA2 dac module as the 9500 and the C53.  Not to dissuade you from where you are heading with separates.