Cheap Sony SACD players: best STOCK/MODified

Ok guys,

someone MIGHT pry my Rega Planet out of my (still living) hands IF I can get a consensus on which of these Sony SACD players to purchase and possibly to MOD later.

There's all this hubbub (bub) on AA re: the 333es being an older version of the sacd converter, and the 222es and even the 775 (less than $200 now) being better.

There's the 222es, 333es, 555es, 500v, 775, 9000v, 9000es

I'm looking for a player at $800 total cost.

SO, that leaves a modded 333es, modded 555es, totally modded 775 or 500v, and basically a stock 9000v and stock 9000es.

I just want 2 channel cd/sacd, and dvd only for audio purposes, and only if the player is better anyway (even if it didn't have dvd capabilities).

What up?? Modwright isn't doing mods on the cheaper players any more, Tweakaudio may be (haven't heard back just yet).

Let the knowledge flow!
gthirteen
sweet!!!

Thanks guys, keep it coming!!

Incedentally, Rgd, you mean, when a 2-channel machine plays a multi-channel disc in 2 channel mode, there have been problems?

I assume that you mean this instead of a 2 ch trying to play multi discs in multichannel mode?

-g13
G13 - Yes to your 1st statement. All sacd discs that are noted as multi-channel also have a 2 channel layer so one can play it on a 2 channel player. The problem arises when a 2 channel player begins to negotiate its way onto the multi-channel layer (which its not supposed to do) and a loud "white noise" appears.

With fingers crossed I advise this has not yet happened to my 333ES player although I only have 2 multi-channel SACD discs at the present time...
Just to let you know with regards to the advertised C775 modified by www.sacdmods.com . Matthew Ankers operates that outfit. He modified mine and I just took a delivery of the modified unit. There have been some favourable reviews on Audioasylum about the much improved sound of Matthew's units. He also modifies the 222 model.

In a few days I'll be able to let you know how it compares to stock 222 (which I also own).
I listened to/auditioned a 333 from a local shop for one weekend. I borrowed a few SACDs which i had on either CD or LP. After the weekend I decided the 333 was not worth owning and wondered if all SACD players were so underwhelming.
Since that weekend I have had the opertunity to listen to the 9000ES and found it to be a much more pleasant experience. I considered buying the 9000ES until I stumbled across a SCD 777ES. My friend who owns the 9000ES set it up in his system and the improvement was so dramtic his girlfriend told him she'd work some overtime to pay for it.
The gist of all of this is; I wouldn't look much lower than the 9000ES, but if you can snag an SCD-777ES you won't be disappointed.
I can't say anything about the mods but the better the original unit the better the modded unit!
With respect to Rgd's point on the problem with multi-channel discs, I can report no problems so far with my modded 777ES, which is a two-channel player, knock on wood. By the way, my friend is now looking seriously into mods--I had not been able to hear my modded 777ES vs. a stock one head to head till last night, and it was a revelation both on SACD and redbook--probably some of the best money I ever spent in this hobby. What a difference a better digital clock, a high-quality output stage (tubed, in my case, but not the point) and a separate, no-holds-barred analog power supply can make!

On which model to get, I tend to agree with Nrchy's point, principally because the transports on the more expensive units seem to be much more robust and well-made and have better power supplies on the digital side. However, part of your decision will rest on which modifier you want to use and which models he works on. I know that Stan Warren had a mod for the 9000ES which reportedly was very good, and very cost-effective as well (in the $250 range, I think). Good luck--I think you'll be surprised how good a custom-made piece (that's what these mods essentially are) can sound against any stock unit.