certin speaker makers harder to get dissounts fro

I have gotten a lot of good info here in the past few days, my new question is . The Martin logan dealers i have talked with said they never discount, but they are on sale( the vantage) for $60 off per speaker. Is this true for others who have bought ML speakers you could not get a price break even when spending a far amout of money. If it seems like i harp on money plese for give me im am but a Parmedic and it has taken me some time to put together 11000 dollars. Looking at some of the systems here that may be your cable budget. I dont wish you ill if if can afford this type of gear, I just wish I could also. Maybe one day, and it is fun to dream
cj1capp
It was difficult to wade through all of what has been said, but there are different philosophies that store owners employ. They do on average getabout 40% mark up on High end speakers take from that the operating which is extremely variable depending on the size of the store their inventory debt etc. and they obviously don't have a lot of room to move. That said if you can manage to find a small operation that carries or can order them for you it's still a considerable chunk of change approx 5000 bucks I am sure that a quick $2000 profit would work, they can manage with that.
In response to the general retail question of course if your selling $20 shirts you only make $10. You can't pay the rent with $3. The store can either hope to keep volumes high enough and importantly customer loyalty so you keep going back to the guy who will give you the dscount or try and make a single killing on those who don't care.
Forget markup, forget profit margin. Just ask yourself this

"Do these speakers give me the best possible sound for the money ?

Am I prepared to spend this much on a pair of speakers ?"

If you answer yes to both then buy them. If no to either then don't buy them.

In summary buy the best speakers you hear within a budget that is acceptable to you.

In all lines of business you can ask for a discount and the retailer or manufacturer can offer a discount. There's no point getting upset if the offered discount isn't what you expect. Just walk away and explore other avenues.
In response to Macrojack, could people chime in with their knowledge of which manufacturers offer direct home trial? So far, I'm only aware of Soundlabs and CAT. In each case, freight is the responsibility of the customer of course. I believe CAT also asks a 4% restocking charge in the event of return. I'm sure there are others I don't know about.
There are a number of them, Ubglub. On the speaker front: Tyler Acoustics, Ohm, Decware, Zu Audio, and I'm sure others still. As far as other components are concerned, there are MANY companies who offer a trial period, some with (and some without) a restocking fee. Decware, Wright Sound, Portal, Channel Islands, and so on. Most of the cable companies offer a trial period of 15-45 days. In addition, there are often dealers who themselves offer trial periods with no restocking fees.
And don't forget direct importers. AV 123 sells what I personally feel is the best deal in the audio universe, the Onix SP-3.