Center Channel Frequency Response

I have to go with one system for all -- don't have the luxury of one system for movies and another for music. I found this response in an old thread:
A center channel speaker that is expressly designed for HT will have a restricted and taylored frequency response which makes speech more easily intelegible. However, such a speaker is not good for multichannel music, where the center (and surrounds) should be the same as the left and right fronts.

First question: Is the underlying premise correct? Are HT soundtracks and multichannel music formats mixed differently with respect to the frequency range of the center channel?

Second question: If the answer to the first question is "yes," why would a more restricted frequency range on the center channel make dialog clearer? Seems to me a clear midrange is a clear midrange. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Lou
lhf63
"High-quality speech systems need to cover the frequency range of about 80 Hz (for especially deep male voices) to about 10 kHz (for best reproduction of consonants, which are crucial to intelligibility). Response below 80 Hz must be eliminated to the extent possible: not only do these frequencies fall below the range of the speech signal, but also they will cause particularly destructive masking at high sound levels."

So, 80 to 10kHz is necessary, OK. However, eliminating response outside that range is either irrelevant (if there is no signal content outside the range) or a big mistake resulting in loss of program material (if there is signal content outside the range). So, if it is the latter, one may achieve some advantage in voice intelligibility but at the cost of loss of other content. IMHO, a bad trade-off.

Kal
Actually, the idea of a limited HF frequency range does have some merit specifically for movie soundtracks . . . but it is actually my opinion that VERY few "center-channel" loudspeakers have anything near the required performance anyway, so in most surround-sound systems it can be a moot point.

But the main point is one of "X-Curve" compensation. At some point there was a movie-industry standard established for rolling-off the high end in the sound mixing studio, on the assumption that this emulates the typical commercial cinema acoustic that has lots and lots of HF absorption. I'm not sure if all, or even the majority, of film sound studios use this compensation, but it is a major reason why so many movie soundtracks are REALLY bright. And compensation for the X-curve is the cornerstone of home THX signal-processing (that's where "Re-EQ" comes from).

My theater system is in a controlled acoustic environment, and has had parametric EQ applied for really dead-nuts flat frequency response from all channels. For X-Curve compensation, I've found that a modified approach that applies full compensation in the center-channel, slight compensation in the left and right, and no compensation in the surround channels gives the best results on most movie soundtracks, but for the REALLY bright movies I have a preset for full compensation across all three front, and a slight bit in the surrounds. And for older movies or music surround, I usually like it set to flat response.

From this I would infer that in a situation where a center-channel is being used primarily for movie soundtracks without EQ presets or THX signal-processing, it may be indeed be a justifiable approach to modify the center-channel's HF response from what would normally be used for music reproduction.
if you don't have to worry about more people than, say, you and a significant other watching television, i would suggest you try going without a center channel and just sitting in the sweet spot when you can.

people like them for off-axis listening, of course, but i've never liked center channel speakers when i could sit within a couple of feet of the center.

that being said, if you do need one, i agree that it should be as close to full range as you can get. i've heard systems where the center speaker wasn't in the same frequency response league as the L+R speakers and it sounded bad to me. and i would think that even 80 wouldn't be a great low end. i had a center that went to 50 and it didn't seem to be enough to me. tons (too much, if you ask me) of sound is sent to the center channel normally and you'll miss it.
Eldartford: Years ago I actually did do some research on speech intelligibility in high-noise environments, as I was developing a radio communications simulator for military application at the time. I just don't see the applicability of any of that to my living room. I've been in military tanks and helicopters, and my living room isn't that noisy, even with my two sons running around. :)

As to spelling, when you speak as an authority (as seems to be the case here), it would serve you well to run the spell check on your posts.

Kirkus: I tend to agree that some movie soundtracks are overly bright, whatever the reason. I actually like the idea on some speakers of being able to tone things down a bit (James Loudspeakers, VMPS, probably some others). I wouldn't mind having tone controls on my preamp either, but I don't have them right now.

Dcrugby: I've gone without a center for years. With two kids now, plus me and wife, we don't all fit in between the front L & R speakers anymore. That's why I'm considering adding a center channel.

All: Thanks for the responses, whether I agree with you or not.

Final question: Given that a center is useful *for me*, and that broad frequency response is desirable, am I going to have issues with a nearly full-spectrum speaker sitting in a hutch on a shelf above the TV?

Thanks again,
Lou
I don't have a lot of movie DVDs, but at least one ("The Bridge on the river Kwai") has nothing but dialog in the center channel. And, you can have it in your choice of language.

Anyone who is familiar with my comments will know that I am a strong advocate of having a center channel (and surrounds) the same as the Left and Right speakers, and I attribute much dissatisfaction with multichannel sound to skimping on these "extra" speakers (and amps). My system is equal all around, but then I use it for music.

About spelling...

The European Commission have just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5 year phase in plan that would be known as "EuroEnglish":

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c"-- Sertainly this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favor of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less letter.
There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" wil be replaced with the "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.
In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expected to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always been a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"'s in the language is disgraceful, and they should go away.
By the 4th yar peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz yar, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.
ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU