CD Transports

Since CD transports just spin the discs, would I be justified in spending a lot of money on one, or buy a reasonably priced one (both units being well respected), and put the extra money into a more expensive DAC?
daj2832
The optimal solution IMHO is to locate a PS Audio DMP player and connect it to a PS Audio DirectStream DAC. The results are nothing short of astounding. It is truly in a class by itself. The challenge is that since OPPO closed shop, the company no longer has access to the transport drives it was buying from OPPO. This is why you’ll see the item “Unavailable for purchase” on their web site. But if you can find a dealer with an I sold unit or a unit on the used market in good condition, run don’t walk. 
I'm an analogue guy myself (never much of a digital fan) but I do have quite a few CD's. I was skeptical about CDT's but I proved myself wrong.I got a Moon Neo CDT and used the DAC inside my Aavik U-300. The sound was pretty darn good, but still had that sharp "edge" only digital can give.Then I heard Audio Note at a couple of shows. So I took the plunge and got an Audio Note CDT Level 4 and it made a huge difference - my CDs sound much more like vinyl. Next step will be to an Audio Note DAC (Level 4 or Level 5) to match. So Red Book CDs can sound very vinyl-like.

"Sorry but the Jays cdt mkll cannot be beat at it's price range"

Well that may be your opinion but what have you personally compared that transport to?  In my experience my old CEC Tl5100Z had a much more musical presentation, bigger and deeper soundstage, with better mid-range for vocals, and instruments.  Using a high end Metronome that was over 15 years old was another example of a transport that the Jays CDT was not capable of sounding as good.  General statements to me are not that useful unless you have compared different units in the same systems and hopefully more than one system.  That helps other people seeking advice to have more knowledge to select a component for their own enjoyment and to understand the differences.

Happy Listening.

daj2832 OP

As I said on the other CD transport thread.

"Cambridge Audio CXC is a great transport said to have just 5ps of jitter!! for less than $600 in Australia

Just make sure whatever you buy the laser or the complete laser/mech model no. is made clear and it’s available for less than $100 anywhere, not just from the maker of the CD player. Ebay is a great place to see if it’s readily available NEW!
Here is a great place to see what laser is used, http://vasiltech.narod.ru/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm

Cheers George