Cary SLP98 Tube Question

I picked up a Cary slp98 a month or so ago.. Its my first experience with tubes, and overall I'm quite pleased with how it sounds.

It does seem to have a tendency toward sibilance though. If its present in a recording to any degree, the 98 really lets you know about it. In all the reviews etc that I've read on the slp98, I dont recall anyone mentioning this.

I had hoped that this would improve with use, but it does not seem to be the case. Its got well over a hundred hours on it now with no real change.

I'm wondering if this sibilance might be related to the stock China 6sn7 tubes. Before I invest in a set of nos tubes, I'd like to get comments from others with more tube knowledge than myself. Would replacing the tubes likely make an improvement in this area?

I'd appreciate any comments from slp98 owners past or present.

Regards,
Greg
slowdive_1
I bought my Sylvania NOS chrome domes from Vacuum Tube Valley. Not cheap by any means, but the seller is reliable and knowledgeable and I felt comfortable buying from him.
Never had a sibilance problem (that wasn't on the recording) with my '98 (special edition w/oil caps & direct coupling)...but I never even unpacked the junky Chinese stock tubes. Get some good NOS 6SN7s, at least in the front 2 positions, and preferably all 4. The '98 is most definitely NOT the weak link in your system, just feed it properly.
I have a very similar setup...the F1 SLP98-P with Krell amps and N802 speakers.

A couple of months ago, I sprang for some RCA Clear Tops, also changed out my 12au7s and ax7s.

My CD player is the 303/300, so the synergy is there...but I have had excellent experience as well with my Denon 3910 for 2 channel SACD through the Cary pre-amp as well.

No sibilence...the sound is unreal. I will own this pre-amp until the day I die.

My listening is 50/50 digital/vinyl.

Check out tubeworld and give them a call...excellent advice for tube new-bees...I was a virgin when I picked up mine a year and a half ago.

Good Luck

jeremy
The best dealer I have used in acquiring 90+ 6SN7s sells right here on Audiogon. I am not sure he ran an ad this week but he is "whoopdedooda". His real name is Len he runs an ad monthly on Audio Asylum under Len he is an expert 6SN7 dealer exclusively. As was mentioned there are several others sticking to home base try jsautter he has a variety of tubes. If you wish to use non audiogon sellers Tubeseller deals in 6SN7s only also an expert with links and information. Tubemonger has a variety of tubes but not much if any 6SN7s he has a good selection of accurately described pre amp tubes. I agree the Chrome Domes are very nice indeed. There are a couple of tubes however that given that name. Ebay is a minefield unless you know the seller or see something you know well. like a true "Bad Boy" in a mixed lot. Old tubes are in fact what you generally will find real NOS is not necessary, but a delight if you can find them. Len has some for sure he is meticulous in telling you the true nature of the tubes.
I have also dealt with Len for 6SN7s for my old SLP-98. Very reliable seller and excellent tubes. I have used Tubeseller as well with good results. Andy at Vintage Tube Services is also excellent.