Cartridge Recommendation

I have been struggling the past 5 months to get a Miyajima Kansui to work in my system. Wonderful midrange but too polite up top and not lively enough.

Associated equipment is Technics SP-10/Dobbins plinth,
12" Reed 2A Cocobolo arm, Herron VTPH-2, very modified Cary SLI-80 amp and Tekton speakers. I will likely be moving to headphones soon as part of a move so the Cary/Tekton will be replaced by Stax SR-009 phones and a comparable headphone amp.

Budget is around $6,500.
jarrett
Jarrett,

Don't know if this thread still matters to you, but I found the Kansui to be very sensitive to VTF and anti-skate on my Tri-planar. I had to drop VTF to around 2.16 before it really opened up on top, with minimal anti-skate (although more than zero--I had to get a lighter anti-skate weight from Tri Mai). I'm loading at 315 ohms. At even slightly higher tracking weight (like, .02 grams more) I found it sluggish on top. Now it sounds well-balanced, full, dynamic and detailed. It's an excellent cartridge. To me it sounds like an extremely refined SPU.

I also have an A90 on a different arm and table, and it, too, took a lot of patience to dial in. It sounds quite unlike the Kansui--leaner and less robust but more pristine and pure. They offer different but equally valid presentations, and are worth the effort to get right, IMO.
If you want the most lively cartridge, then buy a Decca (London) cartridge. Stunning dynamics and soundstage. My vintage 60s rebuilt Decca FFSS MkIV C4E in an old 70s Hadcock beats my Schroeder Model 2/Allaerts MC1b on my Platine Verdier. As I have a two arm set up, I can just swap from one to the other and the Decca just sounds alive.
Wrm57,

I have the Triplanar with the Shilabe. Is the arm horizontal when the cartridge is playing? I am playing it with tracking force of 2.97gm and pretty high anti skating.

Regards
Colin
Koetsu RSP. It's a good match with the Technics. Actually it was designed on this turntable. With 16g effective tonearm mass the Reed should support the Koetsu. I found 1.95g. to be optimal tracking weight.
Jarrett, I agree with Raul. Your lack of top end could be anywhere in the analog chain. I can only tell you that for two RMAF shows I found the Myajima Shilabe and Kansui absolutely to die for in two very different systems. If anything, I found them to have fabulous dynanmics top to bottom of the frequency range. Do you have enough gain and loading options in your phono stage? The Myajimas have very low output and require a lot of gain. Is your arm set to correct VTA for this cartridge? I would have a conversation with Robin who distributes the cartridge.