Cartridge impedance loading question

Hi folks. I have a Shelter 501 Mk 11 cartridge going into a Lehmann Black Cube phono pre. The Shelter's impedance is 12 ohms. The recommended load impedance in the Shelter specs is ambiguous…

Other than a user retrofittable option the Lehmann moving coil options are 80, 100, 470 & 47k ohms. What would you be using?

Thanks!
houseofhits

Showing 1 response by td160

I've used this cartridge for a number of years.
My various phono stages have all been of the moving magnet kind, 47Kohms at input. I have adjusted loading by means of different step up transformers.

For a long time I used an sut that reflected a load of 470 ohms back to the shelter, while stepping up its output voltage by 10 times. (aka 1:10 turns ratio)

And I enjoyed the cartridge quite a lot at this loading.

I have also loaded this cartridge at 209 ohms by using a sut with a turns ratio of 1:15.

With regard to your options with the Black Cube I'd try it at both 100 ohms and then 470 ohms. Choose between those.

I haven't tried it, but it has been suggested to me by someone who has that a 1000 ohm setting works very good with the 501-II. For me that would require an SUT with a 1:5 turns ratio.

My phono stages that I have used with the Shelter have been tubed, except for a couple that I tried for brief periods and returned. I haven't tried the Black Cube.
Current stage is a Hagerman Trumpet which I find quite ageeable with the rest of my signal chain.

And, of course, your mileage might (and probably will) vary.

-Steve

-Steve