Cartridge Force - Is a Little 'Over-Force' Okay?

With kids getting older and not as 'grabby', I decided to dust off the Pro-Ject 1.2, and throw on a new cartridge (Sumiko Olympia), replacing the 25-year-old Oyster. After dialing-in the cartridge to its recommended 2.0 grams, I noticed the tonearm counterweight keeps the lid/dust cover from closing. With kids around, I'd really prefer to keep a lid on it. If I move the counterweight to a position where it doesn't interfere with the cover, it weighs-in at 2.7 grams. 

My question is, does .7 grams, with this particular cartridge make a difference? Not just in sound quality (I couldn't hear the difference), but in the case of preserving the longevity of the vinyl. 

Or is there a compatible counterweight that would add a few more grams of force? I was trying to justify a whole new rig, but this little guy still (seemingly) works just fine.

brian_stabinger

IMHO a bit too high. If the recommendation is 2gm, you will be 35% over the max. I would personally be happier with 5-10%. I run mine at .1gm over recommended. Its a Sumiko Blackbird and it got rid of guitar distortion on one track on one album - "It Doesn't Matter" - Spyro Gyra 'Morning Dance' album. No issues on any other of my albums except this one guitar solo. But it worked and no side effects I can hear. Good luck.

Thanks for the direction @dover ! The is certainly the elegant way to go. Now just to wait for stock to return.

In the meantime, the weight-tape-near-the-pivot seems logical enough. Perhaps a visit to the local golf/tennis shoppe is in-order.

All that aside, yes, probably best to keep things within the spec, if at all possible. And I like the above better than cutting into acrylic. 

If you go above or below the recommended VTF, the coils/iron/magnets may not be aligned properly to the magnetic circuit, which could result in unpredictable sonic consequences.

2.7 grams VTF is WAY too heavy for a 2.0+/- VTF cartridge!

Youd be better off using a washer to add weight to your counterweight; just buy one whose center hole is close in size to your stub. Then your dust cover will fit, and you’ll be able to dial in 1.8-2.2 grams VTF and get the best sound from your cartridge. Also, use headphones to listen and find the optimum VTF setting. Set it light (1.5 grams) and listen; you’ll hear a gritty distortion. Then gradually increase by 0.2 grams until you don’t hear any distortion. Then *maybe* increase it by 0.1 gram. I’ve been doing this a long time, 131 carts and 18 TTs.