Cart not parallel after Mint LP alignment?

Howdy,

So after reading about 1000 paragraphs on how good the Mint LP Tractor is - I purchased one and had a marathon session yesterday with my new SL-1210 M5G, AT440MLa and Zupreme headshell...

After all was said and done - the alignment itself took 90 hard minutes - I am finding the cartridge sitting about 5-7 degrees "right" of center. The actual cantilever and stylus are about as dead on as I wanna go with it for now.

Now a comment and a question....

Question: Is this non-parallel result in the headshell normal? It's making me think I may have a bent cantilever or something.

Comment: I have run 10-12 sides thru the rig so far and I must say - I have not yet heard the "revelation" that others have described when comparing their alignments to other protractors or even the white Technics alignment gauge. The rig sounds good...but...what I am missing here.

I must temper the above by saying I have changed phono stages frequently in the last month as well...I was getting nicely familiar with a Bellari VP-130 and then moved that for a Cambridge which lasted less than a week and I now have a Moon LP3 with maybe 25 hours on it...Even my AT440MLa might have 40-50 hours on it as well....

I am thinking that a whole bunch of stuff might need to "burn" in before the system starts to really reveal itself.

But I am very concerned with the stylus/cantilever on the cart...even with all the moves the Mint required...I expected the cartridge to sit straight in the headshell...perhaps expecting too much?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

VP
vocalpoint
Raul,

Well, if people are carried away with hyperbole then that is their problem. No one that I know has ever said anything but how the Mint is simply a better tool because of the precision, not because there is some new math theory. I don't find that, but then I'm not looking for it. Absolutely, no magic. The Mint is just a simple, arc style protractor made to a more precise specification.

You love that word, distortion. Sure, hitting the absolute perfect alignment is in reality impossible. The precision of the Mint is all about minimizing distortion. So I guess if I think a minute I can find a connection between the results I, (and many, many others), get with using the Mint as simply choosing one form of distortion over another.

I was absolutely sincere when I posted that I hope people will contact you, or someone, or do their own research about what I think is basic cartridge alignment before coming here with threads on how/why their cart is twisted in the headshell. If the OP had done that, we wouldn't be getting this attitude of how it must be all of us who are just bleating sheep with no ears or minds of our own.

I'm really sorry you feel like I'm "after" you in some way. I don't follow you, or your threads, or your posts. From time to time we cross paths. If you feel like I'm after you, then perhaps it is you who needs to grow some thicker skin.
do their own research about what I think is basic cartridge alignment before coming here with threads on how/why their cart is twisted in the headshell. If the OP had done that, we wouldn't be getting this attitude of how it must be all of us who are just bleating sheep with no ears or minds of our own.

Dan,

I came here to try and do some learning on my new protractor and it's alignment. You are making it sound like we are not allowed to post on this forum until we have done 100 hours on "community" alignments or similar.

For the record - I have been doing alignments for years - yet I am not familiar with a cartridge NOT being straight in the headshell and found this whole concept to fly in the face of thousands of bits of info I have read over the years.

As mentioned way earlier in the thread - I "get" the fact that using the cantilever as a guide can indeed make the cart body sit a little canted. But then I took this theory a step further and asked myself - what if the stylus tip itself is not square to the cantilever? If that's the case - then this whole exercise of microscopic lineup can be pointless. The Mint LP tractor can be useless...in fact all protractors can be useless.

Therefore - I can also understand the point of Rauliruegas and others who say...pick your line and if it sounds good - it sounds good.

Not sure about some folks - but I didn't get into audio to get math lessons for parabolas, arcs and null points. And as much as I have found this experience to be interesting - I have also found that it's making me seriously second guess everything after each round of adjustments - instead of just enjoying the gear and vinyl.

To wit - this week I picked up a brand new 2M Blue and because this "mint lp" ordeal left such a pain in my eye and a feeling like my trig homework wasn't done - I went old school - stuck it on the SL-1210M5G using the Technics overhang gauge. And it sounds excellent. Took two minutes to setup....

I am still testing the pair of AT440MLa...one "minted" and the other not. Details on that when I get a little more time...

Cheers!

VP
VP, you can find all kinds of basic information on the web about the different alignment geometries. No need to go through the math, necessarily. Just the basic overview of each would have explained why your cartridge may be twisted by aligning to a different geometry than the arm was designed for. Others tried to point this out to you.

There is no snake oil here. No exaggerations on findings, and I do know that you are not the first to report not being able to improve your cart's alignment by using the Mint. It could be that your previous alignment was good enough, it could be that there is a problem in your system with resolution. Just a suggestion. I can't really say because I've not heard your system.

I have listened to music with Raul and I know that my hearing is at least as good as his. According to Raul, for instance, I already have both hands tied behind my back because I prefer the "distortion" of "equalizer" tubes to SS. Raul does have a lot of experience and can offer much advice to those who want it.

The Mint is a very good tool that many of us would not be without because we have all found benefit in our systems by using a more precise protractor. Was it huge? No. Probably along the lines of a cable upgrade, but the reduction in error in alignment is palpable no matter what protractor one uses. The "magic" comes from more of the music getting through due to reduced tracking error.

Obviously, we are all free to setup our systems in any way we chose. But however we chose, this does not invalidate what results others may get from completely different methods.