Car streaming blues, ain’t marketing great

I’ve a new to me 2019 Volvo XC60 with Harmon Kardon stereo system and XM Sirius.  Sounds a bit lifeless and not sure of either system quality or signal quality of Sirius. My older Volvo I fitted with Focal flax drivers and ran an iPod.  Much better overall.

Should I explore a different service and/or replace drivers?  Not looking for aural Nirvana here, just much better than MP3 sounding dreck.  Thanks

celtic66

Showing 4 responses by m669326

To some degree, it’s a matter of taste. One persons great car stereo doesn’t sound so great to another. It has been my experience that I’ve heard some systems that we’re reputed to be wonderful and not like them. Reversed isn’t quite as true, but I imagine that listening as close to back to back the different systems would make it clear what you prefer.

To some degree, it’s a matter of taste. One persons great car stereo doesn’t sound so great to another. It has been my experience that I’ve heard some systems that

were reputed to be wonderful and not like them. The reverse isn’t quite as true, but I imagine that listening as close to back to back to the different systems would make it clear what you prefer.

I Also endorse the downloading from streaming sites versus getting things through the phone plan.

There is one exception. The symphony channel on Sirius is much less compressed and doesn’t sound too bad.

The acoustics in an SUV are far worse than a sedan, and I don’t know that there’s any way to completely overcome that. If the devil is in charge of listening environments, then I agree with the last post.

Try downloaded tracks from a streaming service playing from your phone to either a digital USB input, which would be best, or simply an auxiliary input mini jack. If you have to use the jack, look for a dongle the DAC between your phone and your car. 

Both of these methods will be far superior to what you’ve tried.