Capacitors for HP filters in tube amps recommendations?

I’ll soon be installing a capacitor on each of the input jacks of two tube power amps, to create passive 1st-order high-pass filters. Cap values are 19.9uF (20uF will do) and 30.33uF (let’s say 30uF). I’ll need two of the former and four of the latter (balanced/XLR input jacks), and I don’t want to spend more on the caps than the amps cost me ;-) .

I’m all ears for nominees. I don’t need or want any flavoring, "just" neutral transparency. The amps are powering fairly transparent loudspeakers (ESL’s, and Magnetic-Planars with Ribbon tweeters), which will pretty well reveal the character of the caps. In spite of that fact, "most-bang-for-the-buck" nominees are of particular interest, not cost-no-object ones. Thanks y’all.

128x128bdp24

Showing 2 responses by dhl93449

Well, everyone's "first hand experience" will be different. Wima makes excellent industrial caps. I used them in my Spectral DMC 10 rebuild as the final output coupling caps and they sounded good. But the Mundorf silver gold oils sounded much better in the DMC 10 by comparison. If there really was no difference (or the WIMA was superior) I doubt if Mundorf would continue to get the prices they charge over the Wima. As Nelson Pass states, audiophiles vote with their wallet.

I can't see ANY poly propylene cap out performing a teflon cap like the VH. This is quite commonly accepted and reinforced in reviews like the Humble Homemade  Cap tests. What a manufacturer uses in his product may be the result of a number of factors, sound quality being only one. Costs, size and availability may be others. For example, Bryston uses an electrolytic cap in the output of their BDA products, much to my chagrin. Speaking with their engineers, they "reassured" me that this cap was chosen from listening tests. My own tests with that cap removed proved they were sadly mistaken. The BDA sounded much better with that cap removed. BTW, Bryston only uses this cap to remove the very small DC offset, no other reason.
pragmasi

You need to be cautious when recommending CGO/NPO ceramics for audio (particularly coupling not bypassing) applications. I know from experience that some NPO/CGO caps (particularly those from TDK ceramics) have a voltage coefficient of capacitance that is quite significant (sometimes as high as 0.5 x C) at DC voltages near rated max. This is more evident in the larger values (and .01 uF is large for an NPO).  Remember, the CGO/NPO spec relates to temperature coefficient only, and while meeting the low TC, are still quite nonlinear when stressed at various voltages. Folks have slammed the use of tantalum caps for years because of this characteristic, and some NPOs are just as bad or worse. Also, you may be hard pressed to find a ceramic cap manufacturer of NPOs providing dielectric absorption specs. Due to the large variety of ceramic compounds, it is risky to extrapolate the product of one manufacturer with an NPO compound of another.

Also, there is data that shows polypropylene has pretty much the same dielectric absorption as polystyrene. With the same metallisation, ESRs and dissipation factors are identical. Polystyrene has a major weakness in that these caps can be easily damaged while soldering, due to the low temperature ratings of polystyrene. I am not a fan of the cheap Xicon polystyrene caps, but those made by RelCap are quite good.