Can you hear the difference?

Try this and see if you can tell the difference between lossless files and compressed. I got two out of the three correct yet I missed one even with my "young" ears. I'm using Sennheiser HD 650 phones on a modified MF headphone amp. The purpose of this fun little game is that Spotify is doing some testing with loss-less music. It's just something you can have fun with, would be interested in what this forum scored!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15168340/lossless-audio-music-compression-test-spotify-hi-fi-tidal
grm

Showing 1 response by jji666

There is a LOAD of misinformation in this thread:

An excellent recording of a CD ripped in WAV sounds better than when ripped in FLAC.... 

FLAC is much closer to lossless quality, but it is not totally lossless. 

I'm used to convert Spotify music with lossless quality from using the tool-Spotify Music Converter for Mac. It is designed for all Spotify free users to convert music to MP3, AAC,etc with lossless quality. 

If you want to convert Spotfiy tracks to lossless format like FLAC, WAV, you can try AudFree Spotify Music Converter.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but nor do I want digital audio newbies misled but these statements.

FLAC is by definition totally lossless and can be used to 100% reconstruct the .wav file it started as.  In THEORY decoding a FLAC to PCM for playback can add extra load on a device which is in THEORY audible however there are multiple ways to defeat this THEORETICAL issue, including Roon (decoded on a core then streamed in PCM to endpoint) and full memory playback.

There is absolutely no way to take a lossy format like MP3 and reconstruct the original .wav in lossless quality.  If that were the case, "lossy" would not apply.  Not saying MP3s sound bad.  But they cannot be used to reconstruct the original PCM file anymore than a 1MB photo of a painting can be used to reconstruct the original painting.  

Just trying to keep the LP straight, as it were.  (See what I did there?)