Can we finally put Reel to Reel out of its misery? Put it to rest people.

The format is dying and too expensive to repair properly. Heads wear out so easy and many out there are all worn.
High quality technicians are either retired or long gone. Its such an inconvenient format that can be equalled by nakamichi easily in tape decks.
Retire it please put them in museums. 
vinny55
I own three RTR's, two are Teacs, one is the Akai GX-636. I enjoy the process of threading the tape (I worked in computers years ago when tape drives were commonplace), and the sound to me is still preferable in many aspects to some formats (FM for one, sometimes digital, although that medium has cleaned up its act a lot). Maintaining the heads by regularly cleaning them and demagnetizing them goes a long way toward avoiding performance issues. I think it's amazing that machines designed and built 40 years ago or more can still render music that can be enjoyed with a little effort and look very cool while doing it.
I've never owned a reel to reel, my friend has 2 refurbished ones and loves them, and can get them easily repaired...on the other hand, why bother worrying what gear other people like...
I’ve had no problem getting my RT-701 worked on. Likewise, I score reasonably-priced RTR tape all the time—at estate sales, vinyl record shops, on Craigslist, from hi-fi pals... And I live in the sticks. RTR is so much fun, and no cassette player can touch it soundwise (and I love cassettes!) So that makes you what? Wrong. 
@florida71.
I too have an rt701 amongst others, excellent deck at 7.5ips, built like a proverbial tank. Just a one year model although just about everything is common with the rt707 fortunately.

I assume from handle you are in Florida.

Likewise but sure as heck cannot find any affordable media around my area.
Seems everyone around here is well aware of the r2r resurgence and is priced accordingly.