Can the KEF LS50 rock?

Hi,

Right now my setup includes a Rel T5 sub and a pair of Wharfedale 10.1s. I just got a peachtree nova 125se which should be coming soon. For the longest time I have been looking at buying a pair of KEF LS50s. My room size is medium and I rarely get to play my music loud. All that being said if I bought the Kefs and paired it with my sub how would they do when I occasionally feel the desire to rock out? Any other monitor suggestions would be helpful. I live in a small town so there isn't much chance to test drive speakers but maybe I can take a roadtrip to Denver in the future.

Thanks!
128x128brimel1974
Interesting. So far in this forum I am hearing a lot of negative feedback. Only one person has actually tried the Rel sub and Kef combo and was very positive about it. Kudos to you man. 

Problem for me is I live in a small town so I don't have the opportunity to listen before I buy. I'm going off of reviews mostly. The LS50's have received tons of superlatives.

I have also thought about going the sub monitor combo with the Dynaudio Excite X14's or Wharfedale Jade 3's or ditching the monitors altogether and getting a pair of the Zu Soul's or Zu Omens. Maybe even the Monitor Audio Silver 6? 

Again I am just going by reviews that seem to feature the sound I like and looks. I want whatever I buy to look good because it is going to be in my living room and I look at them as long term investments.

Thoughts?
You might want to read this article.. You can save a lot of money by purchasing the Elac's and maybe even come out with better sound.. I heard them and they can play loud but at a reasonable level.. Meaning if you're sitting in front of the speakers and turn up the volume you'll rock!.. If you mean turn up the volume while you're at the other end of the house then who knows or cares.. You can purchase these on line and send them back if you're disappointed.. I hear Elac has great customer service as well..

http://www.stereophile.com/content/elac-debut-b6-loudspeaker#LsRJvJZjy67IiHi6.97
Post removed 

Whatever little speaker you decide on, it will sound much better by, as others have already said, putting a high-pass filter on the amp powering them. That will remove the bass frequencies (depending on the corner frequency of the filter) from that amp and the monitor, greatly reducing the distortion the speaker produces. All the filter needs to be is (usually) a capacitor soldered onto the power amp's input jacks (on the inside of the amp). The formula for determining the value of the capacitor needed is:

C = 1 / 6.3 x f x z, where C = capacitance in uF, f = the corner frequency of the filter desired, and z = your power amp's input resistance figure.

This will NOT be possible if you hook up your sub to the same power amp as the speakers, obviously.