Can an audio rack be that important?

When we spend Tens of thousands on audio equipment are we losing sight on the importance of a good audio rack? I have seen many setups were ultra high end audio equipment is used sub-par equipment racks. 
I have been grappling with buying a high end audio rack for sometime but have always put it off as less important. 
What does a reference rack actually do for the sound of high quality components?

hiendmmoe

First real stand was Target.  Improved most parameters...some.  Then moved onto Quadraspire SVT which really opened up the mid-range, controlled the bass, gave a nicer sound stage, blacker background and faster attack of vocals and instruments.

Then came the Quadraspire Reference X and everything was greatly energized.  All aforementioned parameters improved with increased impact.  

The real shock was moving my wife's system from an IKEA teak bench to a Quadraspire SVT.  Night and day performance.  You asked.

@audiopoint 

Regarding your list of answers to my question:

what physical/mechanical characteristics take an audio rack from the realm of being sub-par or basic to being good, high-quality, or reference? 

• Nos. 1,2, and 3 are important and desirable.
  • No. 4 is claimed by just about all designers.
  • No. 5 is a design goal that is attempted by most using a variety of methods and materials, including the structure itself, shelves/supports, elastomeric supports, and footers.  Unfortunately, the level of achievement of this goal is near impossible to show between designers/manufacturers since there is no common participation in uniform testing to measure rack performance. 
  • Nos. 6 through 11 are opinions.
  • No. 12 is a nice-to-have opportunity, although less common due to the size/weight of equipment racks and the custom-built nature of some of them.
  • No. 13 is a lofty goal for a rack (my opinion)
  • No. 14, well...

In the end, people buy what they buy and I suspect the reasons are a combination of appearance, perceived performance based on information the buyer has reviewed and on recommendations by others, persuasive marketing, and price.  Most who "upgrade" (to a usually more expensive option) generally say the upgrade is "worth it."  However, this may have as much to do with confirmation bias as with performance.

Hello Mitch,

Thank you for providing me with greater insight on many topics. 

No. 4 is claimed by just about all designers.

I apologize for the redundancy in that statement. 

A marketing survey of rack companies shows that LiveVibe Audio is the only racking manufacturer innovating a resonance energy transfer model as a solution for vibration management.

Most companies use the old catch-and-hold vibration methodologies where a percentage of resonance transforms into heat. No one talks about the proportion or resonance left over and where that ends up.

Ballistic resonance has shown where heat becomes airborne and attracted back into the closest mass (the audio system) as another resonance form. We no longer consider heat conversion within our physics in the audio racking design.

We will no longer use that generic claim concerning physics but will show more of the design attributes and functions using physics.

No. 5 - Unfortunately, the level of achievement of this goal is near impossible to show between designers/manufacturers since there is no common participation in uniform testing to measure rack performance.  

We completely agree. Loudspeakers have the same problem. There is no standard for live testing. Every environment, system, and test methodology is open to subjectiveness by scientists, engineers, and listeners.

However, the temperature of operational component efficiency with heat reduction is the only topic scientists and engineers can qualify and quantify the data that the racking system is functional.

We use a third-party research engineer who analyzes thermal imaging or the Rhythm platform's capabilities to reduce component temperature. Scientists accept this method of testing with less subjectivity. It is a start and a first for equipment racking. I am interested in seeing how many designs can achieve results like this.

Nos. 6 through 11 are opinions.

A few opinions from hands-on and historical experience have found their way into this conversation. All these opinions have merits or documents supporting them or proven by listeners. Here are a few:

6 Audio Furniture is Just Furniture. Wood is Noisy and has Very Limited Benefits for Reference Rack Function.

Vibrating wood produces audible frequency. Each wood species have its uniqueness in sonic. The sonic signature never remains the same because of the changes in temperature and humidity that change wood’s sound. 

These changes rule out the term reference. The listening reference frequency should NOT change unless adding or subtracting hardware or software from the system.

My experience with wood racking is manufacturing adjustable racking systems for Roomtune, Inc. They were the first to use wood shelving and threaded rods for shelf height changes and used Audio Points to manage vibration in the early 90s. Mapleshade also made this concept work long after Roomtune closed its doors. 

Wood changes with expansion, contraction, and humidity. The frequency of wood vibrating becomes a flavor similar to what cables provide. The additional sound becomes part of the system adding to the speaker and component sonic response. Many listeners like the sound of wood. That is perfectly OK with me, but if State-of-the-Art Reference is your goal, we recommend avoiding materials that produce variable sonics.

Wood does not isolate vibrations regardless of the footer or support systems contacting it. 

7 Realize that Making a Shelf Sound Good is Impossible.

With hundreds of factory footer designs and other accessory-type footers used, attempting to build a shelf that sounds good has yet to be proven. I never heard a shelf that produced good sound with all those variables in tow. Have you?

Wouldn’t a shelf you cannot hear or affect the equipment’s sonic character be the choice for reference racking systems?

8 Adding Various Types of Component Footers and Active Isolation Systems is a Band-Aid® Approach to Treating a Wound.

Most listeners and reviewers believe a rack just holds up equipment, much like an afterthought. It must be rigid and contain mass, and you are good to go. Many listeners believe their rack sounds good enough to qualify as a reference rack. Once again, the mechanical sciences were ignored by Industry’s leading spokespeople, leaving listeners less understanding of the performance potential of a reference racking system.

Adding multiple types of footer systems to components residing on the same rack system leads to a Pandora’s Box of audible effects. The basic is the better principle generally provides the finer outcome. Choose a single vibration management system, and do NOT mix it up with more products and methodologies. 

The rack will govern all future and past purchases based on its function and sound production or the lack thereof. Think about that for a minute. 

11 Avoid Attempting to Stop Vibration. Electricity Establishes Vibration that Affects the Systems Entirety. 

This statement is not an opinion. 

Vibrations caused by electricity are a fact.

No. 12 is a nice-to-have opportunity, although less common due to the size/weight of equipment racks and the custom-built nature of some of them.

By using a single-shelf amplifier or speaker stand. Put the LiveVibe $2,700 single-shelf Platform next to any. Even those $10 - $20K versions and listen. If you are using electronics, remove the top. Place a standard or digital thermometer inside and view the temperature changes. The audible differences are many. Listers will know what they are.

The physics used in Rhythm Platforms works with electronic components, loudspeakers, subwoofers, fan motors, compressors, transformers, power distribution, or anything consuming electrical power. The Rhythm Platform is a single-shelf Platform with a myriad of uses. It operates with any material riding on top and functions with a half-pound component or will support over one ton of mass.

Unfortunately, Industry has trained us to focus on everything but the rack. 

The High-End Audio Industry never wants you to be happy or satisfied. If you remove the importance of the equipment rack, this formula works for everyone, but there are those few who are getting wiser through experience. 

LiveVibe Technology™ is not the Dealers' best friend and has stopped the madness and sales swapping affecting wallets once the audiophile hears more of the equipment they already own.

I know individuals who lug in amps that weigh three-hundred pounds and speakers that weigh four-hundred pounds just to audition them in their system. A rack also acquires more work if you want to make the best decision. I call it a labor of love.

The reference equipment rack is the key to system listening and equipment purchasing.

No. 13 is a lofty goal for a rack (my opinion)  13  Sonic Results Take You to a Place of Newfound Listening Enjoyment.

Our clients continue to state this judgment, so we have included this description as part of our promise to potential owners with no regrets or issues.

No. 14, well...In the end, people buy what they buy and I suspect the reasons are a combination of appearance, perceived performance based on information the buyer has reviewed and on recommendations by others, persuasive marketing, and price.  Most who "upgrade" (to a usually more expensive option) generally say the upgrade is "worth it."  However, this may have as much to do with confirmation bias as with performance.

My take on perceived performance is - if you cannot hear or feel it, do not buy it. 

Any upgrade has to emotionally and physically move me, or I do not purchase it. 

Statement No14 could describe any product involved in any business. A perfect go-to pitch if ever there was one! 

Thank you for your time.

Robert

Live-Vibe Audio

Disclaimer: I work with a vibration management research company and retail products in the audio-video, musical instrument, and commercial electronics industries. This post is not an advertisement or shill for sales. I am available to answer all questions. 330-260-6769.