Buying a used amp ATI 1506 or Linn Chakra c5100 or RBH SA-200

I found some used amps for sale, wondering what you guys would suggest is the better buy for a 5.1 home theater setup. I'm using a mishmosh of craigslist finds as my speakers at the moment F - Klipsch KG4 C - Mcintosh cs350 S - Klipsch RF-42 II with a paradigm sub, currently driven by a onkyo707 avr from 2009. My room is pretty small (20x12ft) and I sit only about 8 ft away from the LCR. I'm leaning towards the Linn since I don't think I can take advantage of all the power of a class A 88lb ati amp. He's asking 500 for the linn, I'm going to go listen to a demo today and make sure its in good working condition, anything I should check specifically, and do you think $500 is a fair price, or should I try and offer something for the Ati? The ati seller also has a pair of rbh sa-200 hes selling wondering if those are good for LCR purposes particularly the mcintosh cs350 as it seems to want more power/headroom. Thanks for your help.

bobber23

If you can swing it, I would go for the ATI AT1506.  It's not actually a Class A amp.  It's a Class AB amp.  You want as much current capability and resolution for home theater, even if you are not going to use the power.  A bigger power supply generally results in a fuller smoother sound (even at low volume levels).

The Lynn is a real lightweight amp at only 56 watts per channel.  I suppose if you want a low profile amp, you can get it.  But I would rather choose the ATI.

As far as the RBH sub amps, you would need to also find a passive sub-woofer (essentially a subwoofer without a built-in amp).  This is not something that is readily available by many manufacturers and may not be as good as other sub-woofers with built-in amps.  I don't think this is going to result in something better than your current Paradigm sub-woofer.  Plus, these are rated at 200 watts into 4 ohms, which really means it is ONLY a 100 watt amp (into 8 ohms normal specification).

If you want a better subwoofer, start looking at stuff like Rythmik Audio, or even SVS if you have to go low budget.

ATI makes great amps.  They are an OEM builder for many companies.    When I think RBH i think speakers ...not a bad thing as they make good speakers.  Amp is made in China though .....   

My vote would be for ATI .      Made in USA. Excellent support and quality for the $$$