Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Very nice work Peter! You'll have to continue to keep us apprised of developments, and fire me an e-mail when you come up with a price. However, I would like to see the old sliding speed selector thingie if at all possible.

Hi Jim: I fill up to the top of the bolt holes, though it would be simple enough to plug them with something removable and fill it to the brim (but be careful not to overshoot the mark!). I also mixed in some black powdered stain. I used marine-grade epoxy, which is expensive, which I find cures to a true glass-like consistency (I know, because I actually cut myself on a broken piece!), and so is very strong and will go far towards actually strengthening the top-plate. The beauty of this is that it cannot overdamp, since it, in a manner of speaking, doesn't damp at all, but instead strengthens to prevent/eliminate resonances. Or, think of it as a form of damping, but without the risk of affecting the dynamics/energy. A cheaper alternative to marine-grade epoxy would be automobile epoxy-resins used for fibre-glassing, which sell quite cheaply. I don't think, however, that it cures to quite the rigidity the marine-grade stuff does. The marine-grade stuff is all very similar, this stuff is just like the stuff I used in Finland (and I realize now it was quite a gift, and it was a gift at the time, it's quite pricey).

Interesting account Nigel, I will be seeing just how far I can take a Garrard, next project, coming soon!! Of course, plinth materials do make a difference, and one reason I eventually dedicated myself to birch-ply/MDF is because, after trying out several exotic recipes in my earlier Lenco rebuilds, damned if the Birch-ply/MDF didn't make me stop and hear - I think (can't be absolutely certain) - greater dynamics and more even frequency response (deeper tighter bass and higher cleaner highs) or neutrality. Of course, I could be wrong, but it seemed to me this was the case. Building plinths is a lot of work, and building several in various materials just too much work. Then there are synergy issues, where a recipe sounds better because it better counter-balances a given tonearm/cartrdige combo. So I'll just trust my instincts on this one, what a swamp! Say Hi to Malcolm for us, from me especially, he was such a help in the early days with his endless finds of treasure/info.

The AR2ax's continue to amaze me: like the Lenco, most don't know how good these are because they never tried them with serious components (in the Lenco's case, with a serious tonearm). I keep harping on these because for those on a budget, it is the closest thing to a full-range high-end audiophile speaker they will get, and so which will allow them to experience that awesome idler bass AND detail and musical magic!! A heckuva lesson in music reproduction done right (assuming a good amplifier too). (And, in low whispers, those who can afford a new full-range high-end speaker, but just wanna see ust how far a few bucks can go fer a kick, or designers who want to actually learn something and achieve actual progress, shhhhhh....I won't tell anyone ;-)).

I am hoping to try out a very strange and wonderful tonearm, which is pricier than the Rega RB-300 (but not by much once the Rega's mandatory re-wiring is done), but which just might be another budget Giant-Killer (as the MG-1 air-bearing arm already is). Back later with more adventures, I hope :-)!!
I expect the sonics of the material will be less significant due to the fact it will be glued to a very massive stack of ply and mdf. I think the sheer mass of the steelplate will be a bigger advantage.
Well I have already decided to use the same plinth formula for my Garrard 301. My friend has a Thorens TD124 and we will be doing the same with that too. Should be a very interesting shoot out when all are completed.Incidentally has anyone tried stepping the voltage down on the Lenco. I know that stepping down from 240v to 180v on the Garrard helped improve things.What do you guys think?Nigel
Jean,
The main reason I took the standard speedadjustment system out is because that way you greatly increase the contact area between plate and plinth in the important area around the bearing. speed adjustment will still be possible, but with a little more hassle.
Came back home last night after a month of travels to find a package (with postage stamps!) waiting for me on the hall table – the plastic idler rebuild for my Bogen/Presto Lenco-L-61. It was performed by a semi-retired gentleman in Mississippi named Ed Crockett to whom I have no affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer. The rubber rebuild is identical in both plane profiles as the original. (Note: Always save as much of the original rubber as possible to send into any rebuild service) The tire is supple, yet firm. It takes about three weeks and costs $25, which includes return shipping. Anybody interested in this service can e-mail me for details.

My next step is to rethink the material for dampening the wheel. Unlike Lenco metal wheels, the plastic ones have (4) 90-degree pie wedge recesses on one side that just beg for some kind of treatment. Initially, I applied a self-adhering rubber butyl called “Kool Patch”, but I think this may have added a little too much mass to the wheel. Lately I’ve been thinking of using the roofing product called “Ice Guard” (kind of a poor man’s Dynamat) – a thin matt that is rolled on roofs in place of felt over eaves (under shingles) to prevent ice damning. It has an adhesive on one side and can be cut with scissors. The big drawback with this product is that it has a tendency to spew out tiny bits of mica, asphalt and fiberglass – hardly the stuff you want dropping into a Lenco motor. So I’m thinking of sealing it once in place on the plastic idler wheel. Any suggestion for a sealant? An enamel lacquer?

After my older brother’s jaw was retrieved from the floor while listening to the humble little analog system that I set him up with a few days ago (headed by a Garrard Zero-100 rim drive), I could almost swear that there were tears welling up in his eyes as he grooved to his old beloved Stan Getz LP. Reaching around his back, I grasped his far shoulder and intoned, “I know… I know. It’s the long lost sound of analog that’s come back like an old friend”.