Building a system from scratch (other than speakers)

Hello all! This is my first post. I am a relative newbie when it comes to hifi but have been doing some research and reading the forums for a while now. I am looking to build a two channel system with the best quality sound for the money. My budget is approx. $5K. I have a pair of Martin Logan Theos in my home theater that I will be pulling out for the dedicated hifi setup. 
Mainly I'm looking for preamp and amp advice. I know a point of contention is the tube v ss debate, but have read on this forum and others that you get the most out of electrostatics with tubes. I know virtually nothing first hand about tubes so am concerned about maintenance and high ongoing cost. I don't have a lot of listening time anyway, less time for working on components. Is this something to worry about? 
Also, brand/model suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm concerned about mismatching the speakers and amp.
For cd I am looking at the OPPO BDP 105d and for vinyl the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, but would appreciate advice here as well. 
Thank you all in advance!

arisingsound
Pokey, as I said, it's for malfunctioning equipment and head banging owners. If your amp can't produce the signal, the protection circuit is superfluous.

I was about where you are now about 38 years ago. For about $5k I bought a pair of Infinity ServoStatics, two ARC amps, and their SP3 preamp. I already had the Linn LP12 turntable and a Decca London cartridge. I lived with this system for ten years.

However, in this day, you could not get this system for that money. I agree with others that an integrated amp is your best option. But of course, there are many that you could not buy for $5k. I have heard the Exemplar eXception integrated amp but it costs %$5.5k. The LSA Statement integrated amp can now be had for about $3k used and is also quite good and more powerful.

What you lack today is the many dealers that used to be around where you could hear equipment. This seems to be a result of the internet and buying directly. All that can really suggest is going to local shows and reading reviews by those you trust. Also were there any consensus among those posting, you might get some guidance.

pokey77 - I had no idea that ML forum site existed. Will drop in there as well and see what I can find. 

Thank you all very much for taking the time to give your input. I now have a lot of homework researching suggested components - that I'm really looking forward to. 

It strikes me that pretty much all of you are nearly if not totally encyclopedic (at least from my perspective) on this subject. How did you build up this knowledge base? Is it just building systems for so many years, hanging around good shops, or are you reading certain periodicals or review sites? I ask because I'm truly fascinated by hifi and have learned a lot from the research I've done to this point, but the amount of products and information out there just seems overwhelming.  

Yes, yes, and yes.

Reading Stereophile and Audiogon forums, talking both by email and in-person with audio dealers, meeting with and talking to other audiophiles and with the actual designers and makers (Robert Lee of Acoustic Zen, Duke LeJeune of AudioKinesis, and Larry Staples of Living Sounds Audio are a few who come to mind) of some of the products. All these and a bunch of years experimenting with different components, configurations, cabling, rooms, and music.

I guess like any serious hobby, the more you immerse yourself in it, the more you learn. There's also the obligatory bunch of useless info and snake oil out there, but for the most part the people I've dealt with share a passion for good sound and an appreciation for others who share that passion.

The Martin Logan forum is a good place to ask ML questions.

Also, check the owner's manual for the speakers and make sure you are using amps within the power and impedance requirements that Martin Logan recommends for those speakers.

I own Martin Logan Monolith III speakers using a Krell KBX crossover and I can tell you they do need power to drive them.  My Audio Research tube amps really work well with the speakers.  However, my Mark Levinson 23.5 amps on the top end and lower end also sound wonderful.

That is one heck of a solid state amp that still to this day will beat most amps (tube or ss) out there.

So, check the manufacturer's requirements first, ask around and listen for yourself it possible. 

enjoy