budget tube preamp dilema

hey guys, i am having a hard time choosing what to buy and will have a lil tax money to buy a budget tube preamp to replace my p.o.s dynaco pat4, my problem is my only source for know is a rega p2 w/shure m97x cartridge i have a nad pp2 phono pre into the dynaco out to a b&k st202 into vandersteen 2c1 via kimber 8tc biamped w audioquest g snake interconnects ,it is sweet but i need to try a tube pre
i would love to get a rogue metis but really cant afford more than $500-600 max, i am thinking about just buying a bellari vp129 for $200 but there is no expandability,there are a lot of three input linelevel tube preamps out there but i would have to use the nad pp2, and eventually i plan on adding a tuner & cd player as money allows but can only buy 1 piece at a time (moneys tight!)
what should i do? are there any other tube preamps w/ a phonostage and 2 line inputs i should consider?
thanks in advance!
analogfreeek
I had one I bought new in 89 for 1900 and its that good.Still with Counterpoint after many years,go for it,which is not to say the others mentioned are slouches either.Lots of choices at that pricepoint,good luck,Bob
do you guys think the nad would be ok into a line level tube pre? like a van alstine or similar?
Lots of good advice here. I did the basic mods to a Dynaco PAS3, number of years back, compared it to PV8, PAS sounded much better. Updated PV8 to PV11, PAS still gave it a run for its money. Have also heard good thinks about the Trancendent. Wish you luck.
Fred
I've owned most of these. Vintage tube pre-amps can be great but also can be a royal pain due to age and wear.
I finally settled on a Cambridge 640 phono pre and can't believe how much happier I am than with vintage dynaco, pilot, CJ 5,8, 10 or 12 or many more.
The less junk in one box, the easier it is to get clean sound and isolate any trouble too.
The Cambridge is my favorite of the sub $300 phono pre's.
Don't know about the Cambridge 640 vis a vis the CJ's & Dynaco Elevick mentions. I owned a Cambridge 640 preamp at the same time I owned the Music Reference. The Music Reference RM5 performs at a much higher level of musical competency & fidelity than the Cambridge. Not to dis the Cambridge, it's a fine performer for a modest sum. It's just not playing in the same league as the Music Reference.