Budget system recommendations

If you needed to build a second system for yourself or a friend what would you recommend in the areas of amp, pre-amp, and speakers? This system would be a compilation of USED components. The budget is $1200. What percentage would you recommend for each of the three components?
What components would you recommend for the system?
Thank you for your suggestions
maxcast
Maxcast: I am not affiliated with this guy but he has some nice systems packaged together and he has been very prompt in responding to my inquiries. His web site is www.audioshop.on.ca. Remember the prices are in Canadian dollars so deduct 1/3 for American dollars. www.audioshop.on.ca. Good Luck.
If you look hard enough you can find Acoustat speakers for $400. They're too big to ship and lots of people dont have space for them. IMHO there is no deal around that even comes close. Then maybe find a used rega 'mira' integrated (950 new so maybe goes for 600 used? ive never heard it but got a good review in stereophile 4/01, recommended and class B) Connect a portable cd and shazam! you aint got shit. but you didnt go over budget. j/k, i think this system would rock for the bucks. and what's nice about it is you'll keep the speakers forever and when you get a bit more cash find a used rega planet cd player ($800 new so $500 used?) and it'll match the mira. plus it'll all look like it costs thousands)
CAL DX-2, Acurus Dia integrated amp and Alon Petite monitors. Should do the lot for under $1,000, leaving a little for cables/stands.
Alternatives, CD - Marantz CD67 allowing for direct input to a power amp, Amp - Creek 4330.
Thanks for the great suggestions. I am framiliar with some suggestions and look forward to checking out the others. I really appreciate the responses. I am going to take my time with this so continued suggestions will be taken under consideration.
The only multi-channel suggestions intrigues me. Should one consider DVD-A or SACD input options?
MaxCast
If you are interested in the Cambridge CD Players the best deal on-line is at Northampton Audio / Spearit Sound (just add .com to either name, no spaces). Free shipping. The D300SE is $289 and the D500SE is $389. These are new. I highly recommend spending the extra $100 for the D500SE. I also can recommend the dealer. I have bought from them off and on for 25 years.