Buchardt S400 Mk II vs Sony SSCS 5 in Bass

I am still in the quest for a ideal bookshelf / stand mount as my secondary system. Recently I procured Buchardt S400 Mk II for in-home auditioning a month ago. The top end and midrange SQ is top-notch, airy and rich with dynamics. However, the bass is a bit on the light side to my taste. Although it is rated down to 33hz (- 3 dB) in room, I do not feel the bass is that impactful as compared to the Sony SSCS 5 which is only rated down to 53Hz (-3dB). Both me and my best half could hear more impactful, better-defined double bass notes from SSCS 5 than from S400. I was so puzzled / annoyed by this. Let me lay out the main specs that might affect the bass performance for comparison purpose.

Buchardt S400 Mk ii                Sony sscs 5

Woofer          6" paper cone (on top)             5.12" cone (on bottom)

Enclosure      1 rear 8"x5" passive radiator   1 rear port

Bass rating    33 Hz (-3dB)                            53 Hz (-3dB)

Efficiency       88 dB/m/w                               87 dB/m/w

Both were driven by the same components, speaker placements, supported by the semi-sphere silicone footers, and evaluated with the same music. Does the rear port design more effective than the passive radiator? Does the position of woofer affect the bass weight? Can someone, in particular who owned the S400, shed a light on this please?

lanx0003

Showing 3 responses by perkadin

I’m sure you’ll get used to the different bass response, but do you have to?  I’ve seen some used S40’s go for a similar price to the Buchardt’s new.  Buchardt being a newer company has gotten a ton of hype, and selling direct allows them to compete with much higher prices speakers, but the used market is driven by supply and demand and a much more accurate reflection of value.  Personally I’d rather own a depreciated pair of S40’s with the bass profile I like, over a yet to be deprecated S400 mk2.  

Were you able to listen to the Special 40’s? I’m not sure how many days are left in your home audition but I certainly wouldn’t eliminate the S40 based on other people’s opinions. For instance, I think the S400 looks rediculous with its grill covers on. Like a wooden traffic light. But that should in no way influence your opinion. Cheapaudioman did a comparison of the S400’s to the Elac Uni-Fi’s and preferred the less expensive Elacs. As much as I love his content, that wouldnt sway me a bit if I was serious about either speaker. My point is the only opinion that matters is your own. Reviews are there to guide you, but once you’ve had a chance to audition a speaker in home, those opinions should carry very little weight.

I've definitely been in your position, finding specific gear to audition can be difficult to impossible, even in the U.S.  Hi-end audio isn't a common hobby, and more companies are going direct and the dealership network is shrinking.  When legendary dealers like Lyric Hi-Fi close you know its the end of an era. 

I bought my tube amp without ever hearing tubes before, let alone that specific amp.  Curiosity got the better of me and I'm so glad it did.  Probably my best leap of faith purchase.  Good luck with the Buchardts, I'm sure they'll work out, its got an 8in passive radiator, so they can move a ton of air.