Brown Electronic Laboratory amplifer 1001 MV

I was given this BEL 1001 amplifier, but when I try to connect the rear cables to my pre-amp what looks like normal RCA cables do not fit into the rear RCA receptacles.  Why? and what to do to make it work?

kenema

kenema
Post removed 

Thanks very much. WIll have a look into my amp.  Maybe easier than I thought.

Kenema

The BEL 1001 MK5 is a great amplifier!  I once owned one. Sold it, a regrettable mistake for sure. Would not be hard to replace the RCAs.

I you don't solder do you have a friend who does?

Tools required would be a soldering iron, solder and I generally

use needle nose pliers for loosening/tightening the nut securing through chassis RCA's.

Can't tell from the photo I posted, but assume that non-conductive washers are used to isolate the RCA unit from the case/chassis, plus the RCA shaft would need to centered without any contact to the chassis (not a big deal).

This said, due to the small gauge of the wires and whatever material is insulating them it's a job best performed by someone experienced with de-soldering/soldering small wires.

Due to declining vision that started 10 years ago I would have to use heat sinks (just small copper flat jawed alligator tips) and would also insert a male RCA into the new female plug being installed (additional form of heat sink), but 15 years ago it would have been a simple 5-10 minute job without using the extra "suspenders".

Just saying that replacing them is not difficult (they are not board mounted), but you need to have experience working with small gauge/short wires that you wish to remain intact/useable.

DeKay