Broken tube on Art Audio Carissa 825 amp

I have neglected my main audio system for a while - once I figured out that I really couldn't tell the difference between a $600 power cord or speaker cable and the ones that came with the equipment, I somehow lost the urge to keep "improving" it. :-o

I decided it was time to dust off the equipment and get it working again - I do still love to listen to music even if I do apparently have a tin ear - but discovered one of the tubes on my amp has broken. I am thinking my cat was the culprit but I really don't know. The broken tube is a Ei 12BH7 (Yugoslavia.) Do I need to replace it with the exact same brand and model of tube or is there a better one to try? If I replace the tube with something different, is it best to replace the similar tube on the other side with the same thing?

Also, I have been out of the game for a while; please recommend some good places to purchase tubes.

Of perhaps more concern is that some of the glass from the broken tube has fallen down inside of the amp - should I panic? I tried to remove some of the broken bits with a pair of hemostats but only managed to push it down into the guts... DOH! Other than taking the amp apart - which I am most reluctant to do, for obvious reasons, and not even sure if I Can do it- I am not sure how to remove the glass bits. :-(

Holly
oakiris

Showing 1 response by jeffreyds

I can't help with how to extract the tube pieces from the amp, but I found that swapping out the 12BH7 tubes with NOS RCA's on my Carissa made a dramatic improvement. Make sure you replace both.