Breaking in a new cartridge,..Denon DL 103 R.

Just installed a R today in replacement of the 103 regular.
What is the breaking period time on that cartridge and which aspects of it's early stage sound should be expected to improved once it's '' done it's time ''.
Thanks
pboutin

Showing 2 responses by hdm

My experience with the 103R is that it can be a bit aggressive and a little thin sounding for about the first 10-15 hours. At around that time, there is a pretty amazing transformation and it really smooths out and fills out quite dramatically. From there, I would say that there are further improvements in the same way until you hit about 50 hours but they are much more subtle. Once you hit 10-15 hours, it's as though a light comes on and there's magic.
47K ohms is actually 47,000 ohms. The 103R should sound quite good into the 100 ohm load; the other setting that you should try out is the 30 ohm load. It is quite possible that it will sound even better to you there. Don't worry about it if it doesn't as this is a subjective hobby and there are many things to take into account such as system synergy, related pieces of equipment etc.

My advice would be to get 15-20 hours on the cartridge tracking it around 2.6 or 2.7 grams using that 100 ohm load and then try the 30 ohm load. I'm not familiar with the Dyna phono stage, but it sounds like the "resistance" setting is actually a gain setting, with "high" giving the higher gain. With the lower output of the 103R vs. the straight 103, it would make sense that the R would prefer that "high" setting.

Good luck and enjoy your 103R. It is a great cartridge (especially for the money!!!).