Boulder monoblock 2150

Looking at the new Stereophile Magazine. Has anyone noticed the "32 Amp IEC Cord" on the back of the amplifier?  

N
nutty

Showing 9 responses by bdp24

Absolutely Erik (love it spelled with a k. Wish my parents had, instead of a c). Also important for the soul of a country imo. I'm reading a great book right now, a biography of Leonard Bernstein written by Humphrey Burton. Bernstein is quoted heavily throughout, his thoughts on culture in general (music and literature in particular, of course), education, politics, religion, and romance/love/sex fully expressed. One of the 20th Centurys major artists (and a flaming liberal ;-).  

Bob, Mozart is great for dining, as is Baroque imo. Music Appreciation, and the Humanities in general, were taught in my Elementary School (I was in the school band in 6th grade), Jr. High (now called Middle School), and High School. When Ronald Reagan was elected Governor of California in 1967, he took care of that, cutting funding for such programs. He also closed the State's mental hospitals, throwing the patients out on the street. Compassionate conservatism at work.

In 1892 Oscar Wilde wrote "Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing". The great photographer Ansel Adams used the quote when discussing Reagan. His Royal Trumpness has already declared he intends to cut funding for PBS and the Arts in general. Republicans are so dependable.

I loved when researches discovered that playing Mozart to babies made their brains develop faster. The brain tries to make sense of the information it receives, and the more complex, abstract nature of Classical music demands more of it. Mental exercise accelerates a brains development!

Watching a movie is a much more passive activity, not needing to be exclusively focused on. Plus movies are a more social, group activity, music a more personal, private one. You can't converse and listen to Mozart at the same time. Groups of people get anxious when no one is talking!

Daves suggestion regarding socioeconomic comments is a valid one, and upon reading it, I realized I had unintentionally done just what he advised against. What I was attempting to say was not that the wealthy may not be passionate about music---heck, they provide the funding for many of the country’s major Symphony Orchestras---but rather that our culture in general is not as passionate about listening to music reproduced in the home as we here are. And that though the rich could easily afford a very nice system, only the rare fanatic amongst their ranks does so. The non-wealthy, even hardcore music lovers , cannot afford such a system, so that explains why they don’t. But even if they did, people now---rich or poor---are just not aware of, or interested in, high-quality music reproduction equipment. Big screen TV’s, yes.

Why is that? When I got interested in hi-fi, wanting to have a good one was commonplace. Acoustic Research ran ads for their speakers in Rolling Stone, conductor Seiji Ozawa being one of their endorsers/spokespeople. Everyone I knew wanted McIntosh amps, A Thorens turntable, and AR, JBL, or Klipsch speakers. Somewhere along the line, being an audiophile took on a negative connotation. The Classical buyer at my Tower Records spoke contemptuously of "audiophools", more concerned with the sound quality of a recording than it’s musical quality. As if the two are completely unrelated ;-.

One reason very wealthy people rarely have a high-end system may be that they aren’t as passionate about music as are we. I got my first better-than-normal system because I heard music played through the one of a friend, and it radically improved the most important thing in my life---music. How many people these days care about music the way we do? I never saw any of the characters on Seinfeld (or any other TV show---the barometer of where our culture is) listening to music. Normal people (my sisters, for instance) think nothing of spending a coupla grand on a large screen, but that much on a "stereo"? Whatta ya, nuts?!

But that doesn’t explain why musicians generally have terrible---and I mean absolute garbage---systems, if they have one at all. One exception is, surprisingly (to me, at least), Henry Rollins (Black Flag, etc). He has a nice little system ;-) he bought from Brian Berdan at Audio Elements in Pasadena: a pair of Wilson Alexandria XLF, VTL Siegfried electronics, SME table with Graham arm and Lyra pickup (I believe), Cardas cables, etc., installed in an acoustically treated room. Not bad for a punk!

Just to be as clear as possible, I have no problem with companies designing, making, and selling cost-no-object products, or with those who can afford and buy them. You go, boy! I just don’t like to see them reviewed as if they are real-world products, no different than "affordable" ones. Of course it’s all relative---enthusiasts may consider a $10,000 loudspeaker or $5,000 amplifier affordable, but non-enthusiasts sure don’t.

It has been argued that the work devoted to cost-no-object products allows the development and improvement of lower-priced products---trickle-down engineering. If true---and I have no reason to doubt the veracity of that claim, great. That might be the best justification of all---for those needing one---for such products.

TAS is much worse in regard to the prices of the products they review than is Stereophile, covering almost exclusively the highest of high-end. The price of the products they review could cause one to consider the question of morality, though I don’t care to open that can of worms. But there comes a point where things can appear to be somewhat amorally gluttonous. Lifestyles of the rich & famous. Yuck.

I am attempting to resist the temptation to be judgmental, but attending CES sure affords one the opportunity to get a glimpse into the character of the people involved in the industry---designer/manufactures, retail dealers, and reviewers. Hearing people speak, seeing how they comport themselves, how they talk to others, what kind of products they are interested in selling. Over-hearing how they talk about each other, and their customers/clients---it’s really interesting to see how that relates to the products each makes or sells.

I’ve witnessed major retailers acting like they are Rock stars, while others are humble and modest. The same with designer/manufactures. I have found the relationship between products and character to be very much evident. We are all free to support the manufactures, products, and dealers we choose. Our choices are revealing of OUR character.

My last post has been percolating in my mind since I made it. I was uncomfortable with it’s tone, and knew it didn’t express what I was trying to. But as I was watching A Few Good Men on TV, my thoughts on the subject of hi-fi pricing crystalized.

Brooks Berdan was a dealer of both Wilson Audio and Vandersteen in the 1990’s. I accompanied him to the Vegas CES for a number of years, sitting in at a meeting with the Wilson sales manager during one of them. Brooks’ Wilson Audio purchasing history for the past year was reviewed---the dollar amount of his purchases of Wilson product, where he ranked amongst Wilson dealers, what Wilson expected of him the following year, etc. At that time, The Watt/Puppy was the entry-level Wilson speaker.

Brooks’ other main line of speakers at the time was Vandersteen, and back then Richard had only the Models 1, 2, and 3. They were all priced below the Watt/Puppy, so Brooks could demo and sell Vandersteen to one strata of customer, and Wilson to another---the more financially affluent. Of interest is that some of those more affluent preferred and purchased Vandersteen instead of Wilson, even though they could afford the latter.

At CES I learned how the more of a companys product a dealer buys, the more valued they are as a dealer. Well no duh! The company partners with the dealer in paying for advertising, the company splitting with the dealer the cost of promoting its products (and the dealer). Sometimes the dealer is given better wholesale prices if its purchase volume reaches a certain level. What this arrangement does is reward a dealer who sells a lot of one companys product, rather than a little of many companys products. This is basic Retail 101, of course.

Brooks relationship with both Wilson and Vandersteen worked very well for all concerned, Brooks becoming one of each companys highest selling dealers. But with the introduction of a new, higher-priced, higher-performing model Vandersteen, that situation changed. I think it was the Model 5 which caused a problem between Brooks and Richard; Brooks wanted to continue to sell the Watt/Puppy at its price point, and Vandersteen 1, 2, and 3 at theirs. Richard naturally wanted Brooks to sell the new Model 5 as well. I believe the Model 5 and the Watt/Puppy were in direct competition with each other at their price points, but I could have the Vandersteen model wrong. I don’t know if it was that Brooks felt the W/P was the better speaker, and that he therefore could not in good conscience sell the Model 5, or if he wanted to continue selling as many W/P as he had been, to maintain his dealer status with Wilson. Either way, that was not acceptable to Richard---he expected his dealers to demo and sell his entire line---and he and Brooks ended their relationship. I couldn’t believe it! Brooks, baby, whatta ya doin’? Vandersteen is one of the two highest price-to-performance loudspeakers on the market (the other being Magnepan, of course).

The contrast between David Wilson and Richard Vandersteen is an interesting and instructive one. Wilson is always in suit and tie in public, looking very much the patrician. Richard is more apt to be found wearing a short sleeved shirt and windbreaker. Blue collar, to the core. Dave aspires to achieve the highest level of quality, including fit & finish---for pride of ownership---possible, cost be damned. If it costs $1000 more per speaker to create a BMW-quality paint job, so be it.

Richard is more of a bang-for-buck kinda guy. He will spare no expense to create the best sounding speaker at a given price point he is able to, but endeavors to offer it to consumers at as low a price as possible. Jim Winey of Magnepan is the same kind of designer and manufacturer, perhaps to a fault---his x/o parts are pretty bad, and considerably compromise his speakers’ ultimate potential, imo.

So back to the 2150. How close to it’s sound quality could Boulder get if the amps price point was $49,000? Or $29,000? And to what degree are they offering it out of a belief that if it’s priced high enough, it will appeal and sell to consumers desiring not just great sound, but bragging rights, or membership in an exclusive club, or whatever? Pride of ownership is one thing, vanity another.

To my original post, I don’t like seeing products like the Boulder 2150 reviewed because I am more interested in high bang-for-the-buck products, those which punch way above their weight class. For every page spent on a review of a product such as the Boulder 2150, a page of the review of a product offering a higher price-to-performance ratio remains unpublished. That’s bad not just for us already audiophiles, but for the cause of promoting better sound amongst music lovers; the poor price-to-performance ratio is off-putting to potential enthusiasts.

I don't have a problem with an amplifier company offering a $99,000 amp, or a loudspeaker company offering a $685,000 speaker. What I don't like is a hi-fi mag reviewing them as if they're a product just like any other, only "somewhat" more expensive. It can be, and has been, argued that a hi-fi mag reviewing very expensive products which are intended to advance the state of the art is no different than an automotive mag reviewing very expensive, high-end, high-performance cars. A valid point, I admit. But if I see a Ferrari in a guys driveway, I develop a certain perception about the guy; no offense intended, Ferrari owners! My pal Brooks Berdan had (R.I.P.) one (as well as bunch of other high-performance autos), and he was a swell guy. He just loved excellence, whatever the field. 

Yes, marketing a $99,000 amplifier or a $685,000 speaker can be viewed as vulgar, but I'm not amongst those who feel that way. It's all relative; non-audiophiles view a $10,000 speaker as ridiculous. Lots of people view the Trump Tower as vulgar, but it's not because of the amount of money involved. There comes a point when conspicuous consumption becomes tasteless---vulgar, if you will. Where that point is, is a matter of opinion.

Yes, I realize I am contracting myself, and sending a mixed message. I admit it---I'm conflicted on the subject.

What I noticed was the 2150's $99,000/pr price tag. I didn't read any further. This is getting ridiculous.