Bookshelf Recommendations

Long time, first time here. Looking to upgrade my current speakers. While I know the best way to judge is by actually LISTENING to a set-up, I've read a lot of positive reviews of the SVS Ultimas. Does anyone here have first hand experience with those or a similar bookshelf at the +/-$1k price point?

My listening space is 12 x 12, with a Carver M1.5t power amp and CJ PV-12 pre. 
128x128carerra4s
Have to be honest: my query generated a plethora of great suggestions, and I'm probably more confused than when I started.

On the upside, I've been enlightened, with more than a few makes/models that I was not even aware existed. 

Just going to extend the Safari a bit, keeping in mind the outstanding choices--new & pre-owned--that are available.
yep, totally understand that!  great thing is the excitement of anticipation  finding the bookshelves that will have good synergy with your system. Good luck and let us know.
Thanks for your interest in my quest. I've had some respectable upstream gear for years; just lacked a decent, dedicated listening room.

Now that's FINALLY coming to fruition, and I'm making an exhaustive effort to find speakers to do it justice.

You folks have been enormously helpful, and needles to say will be the first to know when I push the plunger...
Heard the RP600M today. You know what, I was pleasantly surprised. They cast a huge sound stage and are way more musical than I ever remember Klipsch being. However, even with the toned down trebled  (Klipsch has stated they've modified the top end sound) I still found them to be harsh. Not sure I could live with them due to this issue even though overall I think they are a great speaker. I would get too fatigued at higher volumes.