Bob Carver 180 Mono-blocks perform superbly

Is anyone in the Audiogon community using the Bob Carver 180 mono-blocks? I just placed a new pair in my system and I am really amazed at their performance. I am using them with the PS Audio PWD/PWT, First Sound MK-III and Tyler Acoustics D1 speakers. The price to performance ratio is outstanding. The Bob Carver 180's are producing an extremely clean, clear and open sound-stage. I can safely say they will compete with mono-blocks costing much more.
thankful

Showing 21 responses by vicdamone

I thought I had a problem. It turned out to be one of my DIY power cables had a loose connection.

I did ship the amp back to Kentucky were it was run in for some time, tested, and I was promptly contacted. I subsequently found the cable problem and the amp was returned.

All in all the issue, or the lack of an issue, was communicated and handled very well. The VTA 180s have turned out to be an incredible fit in my system.
Zaphodbeeblebrox, I have a question for you could you PM me?

babafink@comcast.net
Thankful, reading the thread and your tube amplifier comparisons. Are you still happy with the 180s? Is there any new likes or dislikes to report?
I was more interested in construction quality and the lack of using printed wire boards and crimped connectors. Also, I wasn't interested in paying for fancy casework. Mine are handsomely finished in black.

In voicing audio components using the most expensive parts may not meet the designers goal.

Your seeing the MSRP. You should contact Underwood HiFi soon regarding price and your capacitor question. He mentioned a possible price increase but I'm not sure when.
The only other Carver product I've owned was a pair of Phase linear 400's in the early seventies for PA use. This was in the infancy of solid state but those amps took a hell of a lot of abuse with no problems until they were eventually sold over nine years later.

I don't have any experience with Carver's later gear. I'm told he still maintains Carver service for all his products.

I was skeptical until I did the research and talked to other owners. This circuit was designed by Carver and Tim de Paravicini. Whatever engineering tricks they used to come up with this level of performance is impressive to me. He partnered with Bob Farinelli to produce the amps and with Tony Ferrero to manufacture. I'm told Carver himself was involved in the design but not the manufacture.

I spent twenty-two years servicing engineering printing, plotting, and copying equipment. I know shit manufacturing when I see it. The by hand assembly work in my amplifiers is very well done. The product carries a seven year transferable warrantee and one year on tubes.

The Absolute Sound Editors Choice and Product of the Year was also given to the NuForce Reference 9 switching amplifiers reviewed by TAS Senior Writer Chris Martens in 2009. Within a few months a small group of that periodicals writers, with the exception of Martens, panned the product in an unbelievably half assed "class D shootout."

On the other hand I've owned both the NuForce and now the Carver VTA 180's which are very similar to the more powerful Black Beauty's which were reviewed by Executive Editor Jonathan Valin in the December 2012 issue. My experience with both sets of mono blocks was and is very similar to the descriptions by both Martens and Valin.

I have a pair of Voskhod 12AX7 that I have yet to try.
Drac, well the difference is a lot like solid state and tube, so a comparison is not what I would call useful. When class D became recently popular there were some who wrote of hearing a tube like quality in the sound of their switching amp. I've had nine different switching amps in my system and none of them came close to sounding tube like.

My NuForce mono's began as the original Reference 9 SE and were upgraded to version 3. Generally speaking switching amplifiers are becoming more refined with the forward glassiness getting worked out. Channel Island, Nuforce, the big Rowlands, and the Hypex nCores to name a few.

I use switching amplifiers to power a pair of Avalon Acoustics Monitors in my studio. Their presentation that many find objectionable is exactly what I want from an amplifier in my studio environment.

I have used them in my main system but I prefer the relaxed presentation that only tubes provide for extended listening.

Switching amplifiers are simply a new amplifier option that many have found to meet their needs. The credibility and contempt by some in this hobby towards switching amplifiers is becoming more shortsighted. Design and technical improvements improve their sonic characteristics while maintaining their extraordinary efficiency and economical cost IMO.

I didn't know about the voltage differences in those tubes. Could that cause a problem? They were so inexpensive maybe I'll just forget about them.
Looking at the stereophile measurements of the 3.6 the impedance dips to 4 ohms at approximately 50Hz then continues down to 3 ohms for the remainder of the test and occasionally bottoming at 2.3 ohms.

While this might be a problem for many tube designs the Carver VTA's have a 2 ohm tap if needed. My Eidolons are a load that dips below 4 ohms and the 8 ohm tap sounds great.

I'd suggest calling Underwood HiFi, they may have experience with the 3.6.
Thuan, are those the Voskhod 12AX7VKA?

Wondering if they are the same 12AX7 that Dracule checked the specs and posted above, they accept only 6.3 volts?

Good one Drac. I haven't been under to hood on my 180's. Is that two or four Teflon Vcaps per mono block? Will the Vcaps be replacing some existing caps?
After rereading the manuals Warrantee the idea of voiding a seven year warrantee gives me second thoughts of incredibly intriguing modifications. Enjoy.
Carver 305s are now listed in Jonathan Valin's reference system at he end of the Audio Research Corp. trio review in the January 2013 edition of TAS.

As Dracule mentioned earlier in this thread the Carver 305 are also listed in the TAS "Upper-End Tube Power Amps of the Year," in that same January 2013 issue.

Of course his stable is in a constant state of change, still, that's some prestigious power amplifier company to be in.

This is one of only two products I've purchased without a physical audition. Thanks goes mainly to those who participated and shared their impressions in this thread.
Also the Peter Breuniger video review of the VTA 180s driving the difficult load MBL's.
The Dick Olsher review for the recent historical collaborative development of the amplifiers and the formation of Carver LLC.

This becomes an interesting read towards the bottom.

http://db.AudioAsylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tubes&n=231311&highlight=6al5&r=&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fforum%3Dtubes%26searchtext%3D6al5
There's a good image of the under side wiring on the Carver LLC site > Products > Images > VTA 180 jpegs.
How do you bias the tube sets without an attenuator turned full counter clockwise?

Lacking deep bass, compared to what (speakers and amplifiers)? According to the manual Velodyne Room Optimization program I'm getting almost the same frequency depth on my Avalon Eidolons as compared to a pair of Hypex nCore 400s. The trace for the VTA 180s is slightly fatter around the 30-50Hz region. I personally prefer the what the VTAs are doing for general listening. The nCore are relegated to my little recording studio were the overall presentation is more useful than tubes.

Keep in mind we're getting into the subjectivity of our differing rooms. My listening room is on the large size with a vaulted ceiling, using more reflective diffusers and little in the way of absorption
I can't imagine anybody at anotivia knows how to solder let alone diagnose a problem.
Mil, You've confirmed my suspicion, hemoe was forced to hire someone who could actually diagnose and solder rather then simply shotgunning wire boards and power supplies to repair the rest of their dreck. Love to hear any actual inside information regarding the tube amp legacy, keep it coming.

I'm so confident of their build I strongly doubt my twins will ever be forced to breath scanky mississippi air. Only time will tell.

Recently, I was so put off by the YouTube power measurements that I queued up some Jimi, cranked them up and quickly fugotaboudit. The 180s spanked my Eidolons into submission with no discernible ill effects.

What is meant by "that much of a variance in them?

Can the 180's really handle KT150's?

Get dem Gold Points!
Paul, Youtube pr Facebook I forget now but I think the work was done by the Amplifier Experts.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.454118534700173.1073741836.266965016748860&type=1
I think its very important to keep things in an audible perspective. Personally, I considered every published review I read of Carvers Tube products. Even more, I valued every account of personal satisfaction written by people who invested in purchasing these products. But most important is my own experience with their ability to drive my difficult load speakers with ease.

It wasn't that long ago I purchased a Nakamichi preamplifier that measured better than anything at the time and better than a majority of todays designs but the presentation was far less than desirable. Regardless of the Amplifier Experts measurements I'm pressed to find any user comments that reflect any weakness that their measurements suggest.

On the contrary, simple and relatively inexpensive modifications can have a very noticeable improvement on these amplifiers.

While your reaction is understandable don't let their fundamental advantage escape the reality of their presentation diminish because of a line on a scope.

Changes in design to accommodate the KT150 output tube. I'm guessing those are photos of the older 180 and or 305 amplifiers. KT150 have a unique tear drop shape.

Personal build and delivery of every product!