BlueSound Node 2i > RME ADI2 DAC > NAD 316 BEE v2 > Dali Rubicon 5 (volume too high)

Hey guys,

This might be a silly question but I'd really appreciate if you can help me understand this issue or the lack thereof.

Listed above is my system/chain. I have 3 units with pre-amp (Node, RME DAC and NAD amp).  So what should the volume on my Node and RME Dac if I want the NAD to be the main control?

Currently, I have it at Full Volume (0 db) on the Node and RME.  However, I can't seem to go past 9 o clock position on my NAD or it simply gets too loud.

Is this normal?  If so, I don't think I'll ever need a more powerful amplifier?  I am able to drive a pair of Dali Rubicon 5s (considered power hungry) with this entry level NAD.  I was considering upgrading the amp but wonder if it would make any difference at all?  
prashanth13485

Showing 6 responses by oddiofyl

I'm currently using a NAD M51 which is pretty good , I'm on the fence whether to sell it.  I think I'm just going to keep it for the heart of a 2.1 system in my tv room in the near future
I started digesting the manual... this thing is incredible.  I mainly bought this for its feature set and its ability to apply crossfeed to my headphone amp.   I also bought it on the advice of several people in pro audio circles that had direct experience with RME dacs.

Hopefully it's not a lateral move, the NAD is a great sounding DAC, but its dated.  I love gadgets so this unit should keep me busy playing with all of its features.
I am really digging this DAC !!!   It is awesome.    

For the OP.    If the RME output is set to Auto Ref Output  I believe you are getting unity gain at 0.0 dB on the volume reading and not -15 dB that is on the output setting 

Check that it is set to disable and hopefully gain will be normal