Blue Ray player with 1080I TV ?

I am a little confused on using a blue ray or hd dvd player with a tv with a 1080I input, does a tv have to have a 1080p rating to get the benifits of the blue ray and hd formats, or can a 1080i get them also ? thanks
128x128samski
1080P is not a huge deal unless like Cyto said, you have a big screen, in fact on smaller screen 720P can and is very good.
Caveat emptor re advice: It all depends on viewing distance. The Santa Barbara Sony dealer specializes in the XBR and ES lines; they have LCDs on a wall more or less like pictures at an exhibition, all fed a Blu-ray or HDTV signal. The 1080p displays permit closer viewing without compromising picture quality, thus achieving a more immersive experience with a smaller display. Viewed at the same relatively close distance, 1080p is obviously superior to 1080i. Most viewers sit too far away from too small a screem to achieve the immersive effect a film was intended to have in a theater. For example, SMPTE recommends a 59" 16:9 diagonal for a minimum 30° subtended vieiwing angle at 8'; THX recommends 71.7" for 36° at 8'.

db
just get a pioneer elite plasma 1080p. thats wut the big dogs got its tight. sit as far away as u r comfortable. if u cant afford the elite u can always get a panasonic or lg plasmas. ... and there it is.... ...do it...
THX has their head up their A**, many could not sit that close and not get a headache.....its all about buying the biggest unit with THX, not the right one for you.