Blown Tweeter & midrange fuses Magnepan 3.6r

My problem is I keep blowing the tweeter fuses at a "somewhat" moderate volume. I inititially owned the Yamaha RV-1103 Surround Receiver and blew both the tweeter fuses at somewhere around 2/3 - 3/4 volume potentiometer setting. I heard that these speakers require a lot of high current. Many people drive these with 40 wpc mono-blocks in a good size room and don't complain of blown fuses.

I purchased a Krell HEAT (Showcase) system (125 wpc @ 8 ohm, doubling to 250 wpc a (Magnepan rated) 4 ohm load. I still have the same problem. In fact I have even blown the 5amp midrange fuses. The maximum power level on the Krell digital amplifier is 100). I set the level at 40 and still blow the tweeter fuses in both channels simultaneously. I have never heard any audible cliipping during these times, however, my hearing rolls off at 14 KHZ. I have had two different KRELL HEAT (Showcase) amplifiers driving them, with same results. I have an open floor plan 20' x 15' listening area and the volume levels are no where near ear-piercing levels. I'm beginning to think I purchased defective speakers. Can you help me?
What do you think ?
dtbrigh
The problem with these speakers is that they play extremely clean with no sign of breakup. They really just start sounding good (to me) at 95db as I recall. At somewhere around that point, most amps run out of headroom, or perhaps there is a finite point to the amount of current they'll take. And then, zap goes the fuses and the tweeter (which makes little sense to me since the fuse should protect the tweeter from getting too much current whether the amp is clipping or not).
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of these speakers and even sold them for an audio store twenty years ago, but to my mind, the 3.6s must have a flaw, since I owned the MG-IIIs for 15 years and never blew out a tweeter with the same equipment.
Magnepan was mistified and could not help me solve the problem, so I sold the speakers and bought a pair of Revel Salons.
There are times I'm tempted to try the Maggies again, (I loved the Typani 4s) but will stay away until Magnepan addresses these problems. With the high end equipment that I've owned (even biamping them) those tweets and fuses should not be a concern.
My advise is to look elsewhere for speakers as you will not get the volume you appear to like without many heartaches.
Sgr:I too had MGIIIa's with 500watts a speaker and run into fuse problems with Techno or movies at that finite limit of volumn and cleaness but they were magically fast up to that point. I considered going with the MG20.1's and was concerned as sometime I can listen to thing louder than I should, and I couldn't really fit the 20.1's in the small space I had at the time. I found the Wilson Watt Puppy 7's capable of that precision quickness of the Mag's ribbon but with the Dynamics I craved (plus that whole 20-30hz bass my mags never really had).

The Magnepan 3.6's are still a bargain for their performance, another option is to look at using a fast sub (Rel) to cut out the 20-30hz bass and let the speakers relax a little more, but they will still beg to go louder because they play so clean.
HELLO,

PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE RIGHT TYPE (AGC, ACG, ETC) OF FUSES REGARDING MAGNEPAN 3.6.
ALSO, IN THE MANUAL IS WRITTEN THAT THE FUSE FOR LOW IS 4 AMP BUT ON THE BACK OF THE SPEAKERS SHOWS 5 AMPS.
THEN WHICH IS CORRECTED!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

ALL THE BEST

SANGEL
Hey Sangel,
I have Magnepan 3.6s also. Had them about 3 years. I owned 2.5s before these and had the 2.5s about 12 years. I occasionally would blow a fuse with the 2.5s a few years ago. I am now using Krell ksa 250s biamped and have never blown the fuses on the 3.6s. I too like to listen to music at loud volumes. Sometimes hard rock like Korn, Foo Fighters, etc and it frustrates me when I remember my Cerwin Vega d9s from high school that had an spl of max 125. Of course, they did not sound as good as a magnepan or a Martin Logan. I am wondering if the Martin Logans play louder than maggies without sounding harsh??
Just cranked up a pair of 3.7i with magtech mono blocks (1000w per channel). at 0db, all the fuses blew.