Blowing Fuses. Dennis Had Inspire 300B SET

I was disappointed this evening, as I was listening and all of a sudden I blew a fuse, and I don’t have a manual. I don’t know if the fuse is a fast blowing fuse, or a slow blowing fuse. The one in there is a two amp, and the fuse itself is a zigzag not a straight fuse I replaced it. And it blew again and I saw the rectifier tube had a reaction when I turned it back on. Does anyone have any experience and can anyone give me some advice thank you. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmoose89

Showing 4 responses by immatthewj

Thanks for the followup.  I remember that @dekay did mention a cap linked to the rectifier, and I did allude to my amp blowing the 2A SB fuses frequently when I had it connected to the extra cap power bank.

I skimmed back through the thread because I thought I remembered you saying it was a self biasing amp, but now I cannot finnd that?  If it is not a self biasing amp, what jack did you plug the meter into?  I take it that it was NOT the bias jack.  If that amp is NOT  a self biasing amp, and does need to be manually biased, how/where are you supposed to plug the meter in?

I have a Cary amp from back in the Dennis Had days, and also from back in those days I had a DIY "Power Bank" (a kit from CAD) which consisted of four more power supply capacitors connected to the amp with an umbilical cord.  The amp started blowing the 3A SB AC power fuse on start up (not every start up, but frequently enough that I kept a lot of spares on hand).  I disconnected the Power Bank and now I literally cannot remember the last time I blew that fuse.

With all that typed, I realize that you didn't say that you had your amp connected to a power bank, but, as @dekay  mentioned, your issue could be related to a bad cap, and specifically one of the large power supply caps.

@moose89 , I’ll relate another problem I once encountered with my Cary amp and how I fixed it:

I’d turn the amp on and on one side the bias would run away high regardless of where the bias pot was set (not a self-biasing amp). I emailed Cary about it (this was the new Cary, not the Dennis Had Cary), and when they did get back to me, which was none too quick, they basically quoted me their shop rate and advised me to send them the amp. It’s an 80 lb. amp and I could not find the original box so I wasn’t crazy about that idea.

On another audio site I posted a thread (similar to what you have done) and a very patient DIY member who was quite generous with his time got back with me and together we troubleshot my amp and I fixed it.

So what he suggested I do, and what I believe you could do, is put it on a work table and remove the bottom panel (assuming that is where you would gain access). Then with a multimeter, using various settings (ohms for resistors and the capacitor setting for caps) check everything left and right and see if the readings are the same or if they are wildly different.

In my application, one of the signal caps measured way different than the other 3 using the capacitor setting of the mm. The member who was "talking" me through this suggested I buy a cap checker on Amazon that I could verify my buggy reading with the cap in the circuit. I did, and the reading continued to be bad so I bought all four new signal caps and that fixed my amp.

Since a capacitor related to the rectifier tube was previously mentioned, and I was once blowing 3A SB AC power fuses left and righton start up  that I am about 99.9% sure was related to one or more power capacitors, you could start by checking those against each other.

However, if you do decide to take this approach, either make or buy a shunt so you can be sure that all your caps are discharged before you get started.

Keep us updated, @moose89  , and let us know how it all works out.

By all accounts that I am familiar with, Dennis is a good dude and backs his products.