Best Way to Spend ~ $2000 for System Improvement

Hi fellow music lovers! I have about $2000 right now to improve my system. It can be for any component, but I'm thinking amplification first, power, pre, or integrated. SS or tube.

To begin, right now I have a Mccormack 0.5 Deluxe power amp with "A" revisions, an Eva 2 passive preamp, Metrum Octave v1 DAC, Dell laptop for music files. Sometimes I use a Teac H750 as a transport and GMA Pico Executive speakers. The room is small, about 14x18x10ft. I listen to about 50/50 rock and classical, mostly full orchestral. As far as just sound goes, I would like the bass to be "fast". No delay or overhang, not exaggerated, but detailed. Detail is important at any frequency, the more the better, but not at the expense of musicality. I realize at this price point, compromise is necessary, and treble would be the best place for that. No harshness allowed, but I'm in my later 50s now and don't hear treble like I once did.

I hope I've given enough info to get some good suggestions. I like the sound now, but think it could be better, maybe a slightly lower noise floor and a little more pace and rhythm while retaining it's sweetness and smoothness. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. BTW, if any existing question answers any part of this question, feel free to link it.
xrayz

Showing 10 responses by xrayz

Thanks for all your responses! To answer your questions, @smrex13 I have GMA  Pico Executive speakers. They are three way floor standing speakers. @mapman The system as a whole is a little (not much) "laid back" for lack of a better term. To me, that's a lot better than bright, but I'd like a little more clarity and liveliness. Overall, it's the kind of sound I like, but not quite there. I wish I had a better audio vocabulary. @mikirob I will definitely read this book and check out the products you mentioned, thanks. @ghosthouse The system is not in a dedicated listening room. Believe me, I have wished to be able to employ room treatments, but unless they're very unobtrusive, they're not very practical for me. I have a time keeping the speakers set up correctly without them being moved (mysteriously, haha). I've also considered room equalization (electronic), but I have no experience with that.

I was thinking of an amp with a little different musical signature, a little more speed and punch to it, but as stated I'm open to all ideas, thanks again guys! Oh, and I wouldn't mind going to an integrated, it might be time to downsize a little.
Again, thanks for the replies! I will provide as much info as I can. I had considered the passive pre as  something to be replaced but the interconnects to the amp are only 1/2 meter. I don't know how the pre is regarded in general in the audio community, maybe it is the weak link. My computer is plugged in across the room from the rest of the system, but I don't know for sure if it's on a different circuit. Of the purely audio components, the amp is plugged into the wall and the rest are into a Monster HDP 850 power strip. I'm sure I could do better there.

One thing I left out was the USB/ SPDIF converter is a Musical Fidelity V link. I really don't know how much difference that makes, and the usb cable is Belkin gold series. The coax cable is Beldin, I forget the #. Using the Teac does sound a little better, clarity wise anyway, but not really THAT much better. I guess since the digital out goes directly to the DAC? My speakers are on spikes.

OK, assuming an active pre will get the sound closer to what I want, does anyone have any specific recommendations? I haven't been following audio like I used to and really could use suggestions as to what to keep an eye out for. Again, thanks to all of you.
Wow, I had no idea I'd receive so much good advice! I must admit to being a little confused by all of it! So I must ask even more questions. Is there a general consensus that having a dedicated electric line would be more effective than an AC power conditioner? It seems that should be the case. If so, is clean electric power the most effective solution to the problem? 

I think I need someone smarter than me to rank in order which actions would have the biggest effect on the sound. If clean power is first on the list and an active pre is next, I would still welcome more suggestions on which pre? SS or tube, or does that matter? Most active pres I've had have been tube but it doesn't matter much to me. I had a Dodd which was so detailed all I heard was the sound. A Croft I had was the most musical, but I owned both of them a while ago. I would like to hear what anyone's favorite pre is.

I usually don't spend much on interconnects and cables. I've had Anti Cables, Cullens, Ultra Fis, that price range. I would really like to hear everyone's favorite power cords, too. Mine used to be Electraglide, before they became so expensive. I don't think they're in business anymore. As always, I want to thank everyone for your help!
@lowrider57  Would you have a ballpark figure as to how much what you suggest would cost using good components? And thanks for the tip about Pangea Audio power cords. I used to put a great deal of stock into high end power cords, but got away from them as their price kept rising. @asp307  Haha, this hobby makes us all crazy!  @devilboy  I have often thought of downsizing to an integrated amp. I've never heard any Job gear though. How would you describe yours? @elem79  I think maybe SS this time. Every time I've had an active pre, it's been a tube one. I wasn't even especially looking for tubes, it just happened that way. Maybe an old Rowland Capri or a W4S. Or even a Mccormack one. ANY preamp suggestions are welcome!  @adg101 I have been telling myself for years I'm going back to vinyl. And I still may, but it's not looking too good for that right now. As always thanks for your ideas everyone!                                    
@lowrider57  Those prices are really good, especially since my circuit breaker is exactly under the stereo. I always wanted dedicated circuits to see if I could hear a difference in the sound. If I may ask, is Romex generally recommended? Also, is there anything else I should tell the electrician? I mean, I doubt the average electrician knows much about sound. Or is everything I need to know already in the A'gon  discussion files? @passet02  Do you have any specific ones you like? I could always use recommendations! @srosenberg  I'd love to try a Modwright, I've always heard great things about his equipment! Pass too! There's a lot I'd like to try, maybe even older vintage Threshold. Also, my speaker manufacturer uses Atma-Sphere electronics at CES they go so well together. @almarg  I meant to respond before- I do use coaxial to connect with both my pc and cd transport. My octave v1 has no usb input. In your opinion, even if the impedance matching is not a problem, would a better usb/spdif converter go a long way toward solving the perceived lack of dynamics? I've only ever used this one, and I know a lot of people consider them to be one of the most important components, paying a huge amount of money for their own.              
@ghosthouse Thanks for the message, I was going to write a similar one about any possible design flaw. I think you or I or any one of thousands of other satisfied V Link customers would have noticed it long ago                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
@danvignau  I remember so many of the components listed! Out of the amps, which do you think are the "fastest"?
@almarg  I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, Al. I meant no disrespect to you either. I wouldn't even have known what the spec was without you. It's so obvious even to a non-tech guy like me that  you really know  your stuff! @ghosthouse Thanks for the good wishes, but now I'm not sure if I'll spend 2k all at once. There are so many options I hadn't considered. I think I will go for the dedicated electrical supply, that option will pay off as long as I live here, then go for the active pre. Many thanks to all who helped me think about a better long term solution than I would have on my own!! And I'd like to wish all of you well finding your own perfect sound. Who knows? Maybe someday that will actually exist!! :-)

@ptss   Thanks Peter. I hope you mean it. This is a subject I know very little about, and may very well have many questions for you!

Once again thanks for all the advice! @ anyone who has had dedicated lines installed- what exactly do I tell the electrician? Just that I want 2 dedicated lines for a stereo installed? Should I know and buy the brand of outlets or anything else ahead of time? I know very little to nothing about electric lines or any terminology used. I know there must be a lot of threads on here on this subject, but I'm not sure how much of them I'd understand. I don't mind asking stupid questions as long as the end result is good. @dfarmer I don't think most people know how truly excellent GMA speakers are. Mine are the first edition of the Picos when they weren't as expensive. Also, they were dealer demos, bringing the price down further. I also had better associated gear when I bought them. Since then I've had health problems and sold some of my equipment. But even with what I had before, the sound wasn't quite right. That's a big reason why I'm going to try this solution instead of new components right away.