Best used turntable(s) around $1500.00 for playing metal and rock

I am looking for opinions and advice. I Have a Carver CT-17 pre-amplifier, and (2) Carver PM 600 main amplifiers wired in mono off each channel (left and right) to capture the full 600 amps from each. I am driving (2) Klipsch chorus speakers and (1) Sunfire True architectural 8"  (claimed 1800 watt) self powered subwoofer. I am always looking to increase the headroom that accentuates "metal", as well as get the best sound. (departing from the title of this turntable discussion I will add), ... I am planning to add (2) more speakers and another powered sub. I figured sticking to Klipche and getting a larger sunfire was the direction, but always look for input and educational information.
       I presently have a Onkyo CP-1150F, and for a low end turntable, it's spec's, performance and sound are decent, but I really want to upgrade using good information to guide me, and haven't found many metal guys who are on these high-end audio conversations that are helping. I get all my metal information about audio for my home from metalheads in bands that love the headroom great equipment provides at home. Unfortunately, most of the guys I know aren't Vinyl fans, ....  but I am. Any suggestions welcomed.
willymontana

Showing 1 response by barkeyzee1

Metal fan here; agree with Tooblue, the most significant potential improvement would come form a cartridge change, as long as you have a decent TT (which it sounds like you do). I won’t recommend my cartridge because it’s the only one I’ve used, and a recommendation should come from others who have tried multiple cartridges with this type of music.

Biggest  problem I’ve had while listening to metal genre music is feedback (rumble) caused by the lower bass frequencies making their way back to my turntable. Ended up moving my TT approximately 12 feet from my speakers, and used anti vibration pads under the TT.

PGaulke60: as with any genre, quality of the recordings varies from LP to LP; plenty of sonic fidelity to be enjoyed within the Genre of metal. A few LP’s that I enjoy; Judas Priest “Live”, Tool “Undertow”, Slayer “Seasons in the Abyss”. 

Good luck in your search for improved audio quality.